2.6 Hawk build to date thread

Information about builds and rebuilds, post away!
kenv

2.6 Hawk build to date thread

Post by kenv »

Hi All, someone once said that everyone likes a build thread, so I believe I've finally got the hang of the IT only taken 3 years!
To set the ground rules, my experience such as it is, was rebuilding a Frogeye many, many years ago!
I'm not an engineer or electrics expert, so I've just muddled along as best I can with the usual help from Gerry, Amulheirn and the helpful folk on the forum.
So sourced and MGB and stripped down the car and removed the parts needed, returning the rest to Andy for any bits he could use.
Unfortunately I took no photos at this stage as I then couldn't see the point, First mistake, as was later pointed out on the forum, as DVLA want to see the evidence!
Started the reconditioning process whilst waiting for the body shell.
The intention was to build an Ace that looked as original as I could get it on the outside and as period as I could inside.
I chose the 2.6 shape as it was the one I passed on the way to school a year or two ago!! initially I thought I was out of luck as Gerry's mould hadn't been used to many years and he wasn't happy using it. Fortunately for me he managed to create one from a 289 shell, but a lot of work was involved. Engine and gearbox to come from a Triumph 2.5. Of course none were available, so I chose to go with Chris Witor, which turned out expensive. Good for spare parts but I wouldn't do that again, just try to be more patient. Anyway that's all for now, if you're still with me, tune in for next weeks thrilling instalment!
Regards
Ken
kenv

Re: 2.6 Hawk build to date thread

Post by kenv »

Unfortunately the wiki photo upload instructions don't work for me. I've tried to get advice on this, but no luck, So it'll just be narrative I'm afraid, if I discover how to do it later, I'll add them.
Anyway, back to the plot. (BTW those engineers and those of a nervous disposition be warned)
March 2017
Not much has happened yet, I’ve not been prepping the MG bits, since the garage is too cold over winter, so they need attention before being able to fit them. Gerry had some wire wheels and it was hoped they’d fit, but were offset rather than inset, which was a shame. At least I kept the old wires off the MGB so it will be movable when suspension’s on.
April 2017
Finally done the front wishbones and fitted them, the kingpin dust seals have refused to budge despite 3 weeks soaking in wd40, so will have to be wrestled off and replaced, to complete the front suspension. Ground off the unwanted brackets on the rear axle, but will have to remove hubs and put the thinner ones on, so might as well do the anti clunk treatment too, so a pause on this whilst the necessary tools are assembled. thought I was on to a winner as the axle came apart well and the wheel cylinders were perfect, then realised they were GT not roadster and needed changing due to the brake balance, so required drilling of the backplate added to the list. Meantime, sending the gearbox off to be checked. The engine is lurking at the corner of the garage awaiting attention, not worked on these engines before so should be fun although Dave W assures me it’s easy!
Good half day, bearings removed from front hubs, kingpin dust seals bullied off and hubs cleaned up, Managed to acquire a pair of roadster backplates, so slave cylinders on ready to fit on axle, removed rear axle backplate and not much wear detectable in Sun gears so fingers crossed, cleaned up gasket area ready to refit, hoping to get the bits to dismantle axle soon, so can get on with that. Need to get the calipers shot blasted and flywheel lightened, so have been checking out some companies locally. Been offered the use of a decent engine hoist which is better than my “sling a Haltrac over the beam in the garage” and make do with that (not good enough for a Hawk) !
Managed finally to get the dreaded rear axle hubs off, as with an Ace I need the narrower ones, phew! Andy kindly leant me his socket and I thought of using a piece of angle iron and drilling a hole in it, bolting it to the hub to hold it still, unfortunately it wasn’t strong enough and snapped. So back to the drawing board, realised my old sash clamps might do the trick and a result. Got the paraffin out to clean the oil off various bits including the engine and then finishing the red oxide paintwork and prep on the parts. Decided to spray the engine bay as mentioned by one of the forum contributors (thanks) coming along, but keep being tempted to another coat and of course it runs! Took off the half shaft bearing covers and all ok, but replaced the oil seal whilst apart.
Going to get some of the more important bits I think I need from Gerry as some have mentioned being held up waiting for bits. Final job for the day was the bottom washers and rubbers for the kingpin when the bits arrive to finish the front suspension.
Finally finished the hammeriteing, now off to Gerry for some bits and some new MGB parts to finish off suspension and hopefully end up with the rolling chassis!
Regards
Ken
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

Ken,
I’m sure that Phil would love to have your narrative plus photos for the magazine. He is always short of articles and we can enjoy reading your diary with pictures.
Peter C
StewbieC
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by StewbieC »

I always love reading these build write ups, takes me back!
And I'm still fettling!

Post by kenv »

Thanks gentlemen. When I get a few minutes I'll add some photos and get it all to Phil.
Not finished yet, but hope to get to IVA this year, aiming for summer.
Regards
Ken
kenv

Post by kenv »

Thanks to Andy, got a few photos on the post, but it's reached the limit now.
May 2017
The sprayed engine bay.
IMG_3162.jpg
Well it’s never that easy! The rear axle hubs aren’t available at the moment and incidentally neither is the windscreen. Realised that the panhard rod fitting on the axle coincided with the brackets I ground off and didn’t get round to tidying, so that needed a bit of work to make it fit snugly and forgot about the rubbers to mount the rear spring on the axle.
IMG_3056.jpg
Holes for the larger u bolts have been reamed out (didn’t read the manual on this, expected a quick bolt on job!) Bolted the rear shockers to the chassis and the anti tramp bars, no not looking to build a racer, but have owned a B and the handling wasn’t the best, so wanted to try to get something better. Front disc dust shield bolts not part of the kit of new bolts, so had to source from my bolt box and clean them up. Just need to sort the tool to check the bearing float on the front hubs and that’s ready to go.
I’ve been offered the use of an engine stand and as well as a hoist which is great news as the triumph engine is a really heavy lump and wasn’t looking forward to wrestling with it, came off the trailer fine with the Haltrac, but!!!
Been distracted by other things lately and it’s taken the eye off the ball and the build has suffered due to not thinking things through and having to stop whilst something is ordered that I should have considered. Need to have a strong word with self!
IMG_3109.jpg
Bearing float sorted, steering rack done, engine stand collected, rear axle all done except for hubs which are being manufactured and calipers painted and rebuilt, as soon as the hubs arrive I should be able to finally produce a rolling shell!!
Whilst waiting I started fitting the seat belt mounting frame, nice easy job except trying to sort the rear chassis mounting which needs a hole drilled in the strap. Tricky to do if you don’t have a rolling shell Next came the engine, head was stuck so had to remove the studs to free it.
IMG_3128.jpg
Rocker shaft seems worn, didn’t look like any work has been done, heavy carbon deposits. Sump off, oil like treacle, so a bit of work to do and the cam followers are jammed in place and had to be drifted out! checked the camshaft and found about 2 mm was worn off the lobes, so new camshaft then!
The seat belt frame needed quite a bit of fettling, as the straps in the boot are about 1.5cm in the air!
IMG_3135.jpg
June 2017
Rear hubs arrived and loosely fitted, tried to offer up the axle to the chassis, but the front end refused to cooperate. As it was taking ages started looking at other bits, drill for large holes in fibreglass self adhesive tape for fitting fuel tank. Fitted steering rack, hubs and the special ball joints for the suspension, but the wheels splay out, so more head scratching, possibly back to original pattern as these just won’t screw in far enough.
July 2017
No work due to youngest getting married and subsequent holidays, so falling way behind now.
August 2017
After hunting round, found some possible machinists to do the engine and gearbox checking, But met a friend at a lunch who advised of a nearby firm he’d used who were good and hadn’t come up on search.
Will borrow mates trailer again when he’s back from his latest hols to take the bits in. finally got the engine fully stripped down ready. Drill and Dremel arrived and work has started fitting the pedal box. Tried to fit the anti tramp bars but the rear bushes have protruding rubbers which makes fitting very difficult, I think I need some advice from Gerry! Have been told windscreen should be finished soon 😎.Opened out holes in floor pan to fit seat belts. Looked at steering column fitting, neither this or the pedal box is marked as per manual, so on our own. Need to find indicator switch and trial fit dash and seats to make sure it hangs together and I fit in. so more searching needed and also the steering wheel/collapsable boss arrangement needs more research and a closer reading of the IVA ( typical government document!!!)
September 2017
Pedal box fitted, but will need to be taken out and sealed when brake pipes are done. As mentioned in the Forum, the rubber bumper “B” U/J’s are needed as they are shorter, otherwise the intermediate column is too long.
Hols again!
October 2017
Found a company called Hardy engineering in Leatherhead which have a good reputation so discussed terms and took the gearbox to be fettled. I’ve never tackled gearboxes and don’t intend to start now. Got some more “B” bits including indicator stalk. The dashboard positioning seems like 4 dimensional origami started looking for Mazda or Metro seats at a reasonable price, hope to do Beaulieu
next year if no success. Probably need to decide about the replica seats and get those as well to try to cut down on hole drilling and filling. After a chat with Gerry the original steering rack needs it’s ends trimmed to suit. So made sure to leave the nut in position to help clean up the thread afterwards. Gerry advised not taking too much off to ensure the rod ends penetrate fully into the ball joint, so took a few attempts, as you need to be able to adjust toe in as well as out.
November 2017
Time to start the wiring and think about that methinks. Getting cold now, so wrapped up warm and set off with labels and tapes. It’s a long time since I tackled wiring (Frogeye) and it was much simpler in those days so we’ll see. Having done the rear loom looked at layout and realised the tank must be fitted first and any necessary holes drilled. think I’ve sorted routing so drilled bulkhead hole (there is useful data about the positioning of the hole on the Forum which needs to be read first or it will go into a void). The grommet supplied with the loom was nowhere near deep enough, so trimmed off the rubber on one side and Sikaflexed in place. Now onto the front loom labelling
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards
Ken
kenv

Post by kenv »

December 2017
Right, the filler has arrived from Gerry, so can’t put off fitting it any longer, there are many examples of how to do this with proprietary fittings from elsewhere on guess where if you’re interested. Checked clearances for tank overflow and loom and drilled holes for brackets. Then drilled the holes for the tank securing straps, after adding the rubber strip on the back. Checked the tank location to drill the pilot hole as per Gerry’s manual. Then you have the task of drilling out for the filler neck. Cutting a hole this large in the rear deck is not to be taken lightly. I had the tank in and out many times before I was able to finally secure it and it needs a lot of patience. Gathered together the various keys to put on a ring before one is lost.
January 2018
Started on the dreaded Brake pipe manufacture and did some trial ones eventually seemed OK. Realised I hadn’t put seals and pistons back in the calipers, so got some brake fluid and did that small thing, also fitting the braided hoses. Unfortunately the engine isn’t fitted yet, which makes it tricky to commit to fitting the front loom as some wires don’t appear where they should. But discovered the instructions were out of date and it made more sense when the latest version arrived, but still decided the fit the engine and box first. I decided to use a reconned standard “B” rad, so had a go at fitting that as it also affects the wiring. The brackets supplied were tight and will require further fettling.
February 2018
Windscreen finally finished and Cris lives on Hogs Back which isn’t too far away, so decided to go and collect rather than risk posting. Really nice chap with an amazing workshop at the top of an escarpment with great views I’d never get anything done!
Now the spectre of our government has reared it’s head in the form of emissions. Have looked at all the advice and sent e mails for what good it will do! Typical as I’d just got the engine back to rebuild. I’m getting concerned now that our lovely government are trying to get these cars off the road So I need to step up the pace. The engine is returned to Classic engines in Bracknell to build up. So for the second time of asking you’ve got to cut into that lovely bodyshell so although it’s normally measure twice cut once, I must have measured ten times, but did get it in the right place. Getting the screen down far enough is a challenge, so I’ve managed to put some weight on it to compress the seals for a while which should make it easier. However one leg of the pillar juts out at an angle even after easing so I’ll have to ask some questions when I get back from the next holiday.
IMG_0011 (1).jpg
March 2018
Came back with Jetlag and then it snowed -7 outside with 4” snow. So back to looking at missing bits, I need to get the speedo calibration under way as it seems to take a while. Considering 15” and 16” wheels
IMG_3149.jpg
IMG_3151.jpg
both of which may fit but will obviously affect things so need to get this sorted together with the seating. Beaulleu is up soon as I’ve had no luck so far on IVA seats. Thought I’d put together a good headlight system from the donor but found some bits missing so back to Andy at MG spares who has been great and patient all through my visits. Engine should be finished end of month but no idea if it’ll ever be used (**@@!!$$$ government) so its now holding up loads of bits and doesn’t seem much point in doing anything other than body items until we know.
April 2018
OK, collected the engine, which looks much better, but with the proposed changes afoot, time to get going on the build.
IMG_3161.jpg
Cut the brake pipes to length and fitted them. Remembered to take the master cylinder mount out to seal it with Sikaflex as Gerry recommends. Tried fitting the MGB rad having got the mounting off Gerry, but it didn’t fit too well and required a lot of fettling before it finally went in. Discovered my old period lights weren’t IVA compatible so had to invest in some Landrover ones. Drilled and fitted the washer jets and wiper spindles but found the distance between differed from the roadster and GT so will need to find someone to flare the pipe as it’s too large for the brake flaring device. Having difficulty getting the screen down to Gerry’s measurement so consulted Dave and Roy for their insight, also the way to get the clutch pipe over to the left of the engine. Wasn’t sure it was allowable to run a solid pipe across, but Dave tells me it is, so problem solved.
May 2018
Lights arrived and took a deep breath and drilled the holes to fit. Seemed to work better than expected and went in pretty easily. Sorted the headlights out and fitted the backplates. I got the ones with the sidelight incorporated but need to check the position on IVA, might need another brake light unit to do the job pro tem. The 16” wheels are 1 cm further in than the 15” so don’t fill the arches quite as well, but some have mentioned the 15” wheels protrude beyond the body and I’m quite keen on the 16”, although the tubular suspension seems to exhibit negative camber, need to check with Gerry. Rad fan arrived and was threaded through the rad and the holes drilled and fitted. Just heard that the government have dropped the emissions stuff on the same day as I heard the engine was ready to collect and I finally got some MX5 seats off flea bay for a mighty £2.35 for the 2, so a bit a result in all directions. Started fixing the loom in place and made a support bracket for the period horns. A friend has offered to lend me his hoist as this engine is a heavy old hector and I wasn’t sure my haltrac unit would cut it! Managed to rig up a distance piece to hold the screen at the correct angle and cut some 2x1 to length to wedge the screen into place bit by bit to avoid undue strain on the frame. I decided to get the made up loom, rather than try and sort the coloured wires myself, especially as there aren’t enough colours in the old part looms I’ve built up over the years. Due to the length of the wires, I thought I’d have to put the modern control gubbins under the bonnet, but Roy advised he had put his out of sight under the dash and had sufficient wire to achieve connections needed. Not keen on the plastic wrap on the loom, which is a bit of a giveaway., Managed to acquire some replica badges which should hopefully look the part. Need to make a bracket for the clutch pipe to flexi join. Hope to collect engine and seats this week, so need to finish off fixing the brake/clutch pipes for the refitting of the 2.5 engine. Next step to start bidding for some Jag instruments.
Engine and seats collected and a hydraulic hoist borrowed friend a friend. Got a Jag speedo, but the Re Counter proving more difficult. Decided on 16” wires to copy the original, so off to MWS for wheels and tyres. Organised some time with friends to lend a hand installing engine and gearbox. spent some time fettling the engine to try to make it as seamless as possible. Had a few snags during the process, but got it installed in 45 minutes, so very pleased, (thanks Graeme and Mike for the assist as I wasn’t happy trying to install the heavy lump on my own), not so with the Rimmer gearbox mountings, one if which sheared, so that meant couldn’t finish bolting everything in position.
IMG_0264.jpg
So decided to fit the wheels to see what they looked like and very pleased with the result, they fill the arches quite well.
June 2018
Trial fitted the steering column, but really need to sort the dashboard and indicator solution before finally fitting, Looked at fitting the seats, but decided it would be better to sort the dashboard and wiring first to make access easier.
Going to make a padded dash at this stage, as I don’t want to sort the rev counter and other bits and it’s not needed for IVA. Decided on an early MGB indicator switch, so can start pulling that together. Wondering about lowering the drivers side of the dash as per the original, hmm see how much clearance I’ve got for the legs, as I made the temp dash the same depth (I’m 6’2”, so is a concern).
Managed to find a rev counter to match the speedo, so hopefully that should look better. considering lowering the dash on the right side as per the original, but I’m told all the interior trimming isn’t needed for IVA and it means the tester can see behind the scenes more easily. Had a recommendation for a fabricator as I don’t have all the necessary equipment to do it myself. went over for a chat as I needed some bits made up. Very quick turn round and not too bad price wise.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards
Ken
kenv

Post by kenv »

July 2018
Time to think about bonnet/boot catches, discussed with Gerry and he was able to supply the “toilet lid” covers on the bonnet, so have gone with that and I’ve got a boot handle off a vehicle I broke many years ago! Got the parts from Gerry and also the modified prop shaft. trial fitted the prop and fits well, though I need an extra bolt at the rear union, so the tunnel can’t be fitted, doh.
Needed to move the wiring on, but realised that before the dash can be fitted, the wiper system had to be fitted, together with the washer system and demister vents (some have got through the test without a screen, but I’d already fitted the screen so decided to carry on with it fitted ) Need to get the wiper tube hole in the dash sorted, which is a bit tricky as it depends where you bend it etc. In the end you’ve got to take courage and just do it. also drilled the hole for the left hand loom to supply wipers/washers etc. I was struggling to resolve the exhaust system, but met a lovely guy at a local car meet, who had a Panhard! He told me about a guy who made an exhaust system from scratch and promised to send me his details, which he subsequently did. So got a stainless system made up including the manifold. The rear exhaust is straight, so even I might have managed it, but not the manifold, so passed on the lot.
August 2018
Not having much time this month, but have fettled the above bits under the dash. Fitted loom and the horns in front of the engine, having made up extra brackets for the heater hose support. Not happy with the black plastic covering the loom and a mate suggested a tape that might be suitable and very kindly gave me the roll he had left over to try. I reckon it’s far better.
September 2018
The search continues for the hoses to connect the rad, the item that came with the “b” has the flow and return pipes on the opposite sides to the engine! Went to Beaulieu to try to locate some bits, found a good solution to the heater control off a TR6, I’d spent some time puzzling over this, should have been obvious as it’s the same engine, duh! Got some leather cloth for the dash, foam padding and boot carpet for the trimming. Tackling the cooling system is long overdue, so bought a straight length of pipe and a few right angle corners. First though the header tank, made up some brackets and fitted. Having jury rigged a suitable support I will probably get something better done on this and a few of the other homemade efforts!
IMG_0480.jpg
October 2018
Heard that you also need a collapsible section behind the steering wheel, so after a bit of a search, found one at CBS, but it needed a new collar to join it all together. Concocted a pattern piece which the fabricator made and job done. Used foam and tape to cover the holes in the wheel, so hope that will pass muster. With all that sorted I fitted the dash and then the steering column, so the middle column section could be cut to size and bolted up. Had forgotten about the side repeaters for the indicators, so bought some suitable ones from CBS, but of course to Ace doesn’t have the side vents to locate these, so after a lot of thought, drilled holes in the shell to locate them 😱 this also needed the brake reservoirs removed for access, glad I hadn’t bled them yet. Had to dismantle the loom fixings to wrap in the tape, but pleased with the result. Now to the induction system, I read that the Triumph engine needs the original air cleaner set up to work properly. Acquired the carb fitting and air cleaner box, but of course they foul the column! The filter housing I fitted under bonnet to make changing filters easier and devised a solution which needed a lot of cutting and glass fibre work for the airbox.
IMG_0503.jpg
Started looking for someone to spray the car as I’m hoping it will go for the test next year and the good people get booked up early, but the early costs were more than I’d hoped, so need to find a benchmark!
November 2018
Having chopped the airbox about to clear the column, I discovered that the pipe I had removed was a different diameter at each end, so the connection I was left with, was too big. So out with the angle grinder and eventually I think it’s about there, just needs fibreglassing up.
Plumbed up the cooling system and I think/hope the hose support solution is good enough to pass muster!
Cut the holes in the dash and trial fitted.
IMG_0472.jpg
December 2019
Hols and Christmas!
January 2019
With hols and Christmas, time to order a few more bits and resolve some of the remaining issues with linkages. Checking the steering , I noticed play in the top bush which was new, somewhat annoying as I’d replaced the notorious bottom bush to sort the column, as I thought. Was going to fit sliding arms to hold up the bonnet and boot, but having made brackets, wasn’t happy as the prop was too short and didn’t support the bonnet properly. So have changed to solid bar, fortunately the brackets still work. Started covering the dashboard, first foam and then leather cloth, have cut the holes for the instruments, only fitting Fuel, Oil and Water temp, with the Jag speedo, leaving the switches until they push through as it’s easier to cut them to size around the cloth. Wondered if I’d put the top bush in upside down, so dismantled again and this appeared to solve it.
February 2019
Started the soldering, doing the extremities first, partly because they looked easier to begin with.
Did have a few issues to start with, but the technique came back. Used bullet connectors as they seemed more period. Did the side repeater flashers as it’s impossible to get into this area later. Finished the air box, but it goes quite close to the exhaust so will make an ali shield and cover it both sides with a heat resistant finish and wrap the exhaust as suggested by Clive.
On checking the column one last time, the play was back. Checked the mgoc site as the others only seemed to offer one type of bush, but they had 2. Just need to sort which I’d had to get the right one
IMG_3199.jpg
March 2019
Good news the grille finally received by Gerry and is on it’s way. Finally fitted the prop cover and measured and cut the gearbox lever hole.
IMG_3198.jpg
It’s starting to look like a car now, despite there being quite a lot still to do. Think most of the soldering is done and Switches fixed to dashboard, now to get a battery and start the testing circuit process! Think I finally sorted the errant steering column, bolted it all together and still seems OK, Phew
Need to secure the control boxes under the dash before the dash goes in and will check all the wiring too. found some double sided tape which did the job nicely.
Cut out and drilled the door panels, then used a screw to locate the panel to drill the remaining holes. Now needs covering with leather cloth .
Regards
Ken