289FIA build in Australia

Information about builds and rebuilds, post away!
xb-60

Re: 289FIA build in Australia

Post by xb-60 »

Thanks for the comments, Peter.

Yes, the suspension is well designed for adjustability, and is impressive looking.

The driver’s seat is mounted on runners, so the seat frame easily clears the handbrake brackets and cables, which are of my own design.

I’m anticipating that the overall weight will be around 1100kg with my SBF and Toploader fitted. The all-aluminium alloy semi-monocoque (quite heavy-wall in strategic places) is professionally designed for safety and strength, including impressive torsional rigidity. It also has steel intrusion bars in the doors. The suspension wishbones are machined from solid, and are probably heavier than tubular steel items….which of course all adds up.

Yes, not a lot of carpet will be fitted. Why cover up that bare aluminium alloy if you don’t have to?

Incidentally, the body is ‘glass, but reinforced with a carbon fibre/kevlar hybrid cloth. It’s quite strong.

Cheers,
Glen
simonjrwinter

Post by simonjrwinter »

Glen,

Thanks for the pictures, that’s a fantastic setup

Simon
TR6 (V8) Hawk 289 FIA (V8) Doing my bit for global warming.
xb-60

Post by xb-60 »

Greetings! Been a couple of months since last posting here, so some updates....

My dash panel is looking a little more populated...

I have some nice additions to the nose as well...

Cheers!
Glen
xb-60

Post by xb-60 »

Greetings from Australia. My apologies... been more than a year since my last update.

My engine is nearing completion of its rebuild. Mechanic's time available has been at a premium because of COVID, so progress has been very slow. My car has been at the workshop for more than a month now, for the engine and gearbox to be fitted. However it probably won't be until next week that my engine and gearbox (Toploader) will be introduced to each other, and then the assembly finally fitted to the car.

Just trying to work out how to post pictures so you can see what he looks like now.

Cheers!
Glen
xb-60

Post by xb-60 »

Hello again, and greetings from Australia.
It's been a while since an update, main reason being that I don't have much information or progress to update on - in fact, almost no progress.
The engine has the flywheel, clutch and scattershield fitted. The original plan was to go with a HTOB, but I'm a little sceptical about their reliability, so I'm going with a normal lever actuation and external cylinder. That could show some clearance issues with the lever, so the plan is to do a trial fit of the engine and scattershield and then cut a clearance aperture in the tunnel if required. I'll then fab a removable cover to ....cover it. That was supposed to happen a few weeks ago, but the excuse for lack of progress - COVID / lack of manpower - is becoming wearing.
After the trial fit, the Toploader will be mated to the engine and scattershield, and we progress from there with fitting the engine and gearbox.
Hope all reading this are fit and well, and I'll post again when I have something solid to report ;-)

Cheers!
Glen
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

Yes, I can remember the frustration at waiting for my engine to be finished. I think those clients that were going racing at the week end continually jumped the queue to get their work done for the next race. The quoted delivery time of 6 weeks became 2-3 months.
Just hope you can get it completed to enjoy your next next Summer. Is that Nov ?
Peter C
xb-60

Post by xb-60 »

New Year’s greetings!
Well, progress is still much slower than hoped.
Another issue surfaced a couple of months ago – the Toploader would not fit, despite assurances (over a period of years) that it would. So, had to change to a Tremec TKX along with an HTOB clutch operation rather than my preferred mechanical clutch operation.
Headers are fitted; space is certainly tight for the exhaust, which is being fabricated currently.
Best wishes for the new year, and I’ll attempt to post some pictures soon.
Cheers!
Glen