UK build agent?

Information about builds and rebuilds, post away!
simonjrwinter

Re: UK build agent?

Post by simonjrwinter »

Seems there are lots of “variables” when it comes to the DVLA..... I know at least some of the first cars through the SVA were registered as tax exempt....
TR6 (V8) Hawk 289 FIA (V8) Doing my bit for global warming.
Karl

Post by Karl »

Clive, when I registered my car in Feb. 2009 I also have the two dates showing Feb. 2009, but also had a age related plate with the year of the donor (KCH124 N). The two different dates started all the problems of the false registration here in Germany, so 95% of the Cobras over here have a false registration as a historic vehicle.
Regards Karl
StewbieC
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by StewbieC »

No new build will get historic status and all will have first registration as the date of first registration which will be post IVA. Whatever went on before is history.
You can get an age related plate using two major components from a donor car and you get a reg from the county where the first registered keeper lives from the same year as the donor.
Speak to Gerry about possible builders,
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

Simon
If you have enough parts from the original donor car and it’s old enough then yes you get historic status and it will be VED exempt. Mine was a ‘67 donor so was considered historic as it was pre 1972 which was the threshold at the time.
The goal posts have since moved with respect to VED exemption I believe it is now a rolling 40 years. So now pre 1980.
Peter C
StewbieC
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by StewbieC »

Pete, your first statement is not true, unless you retain both the original vehicle chassis / monocoque and engine. Which is impossible when building a Hawk.
simonjrwinter

Post by simonjrwinter »

That’s the way I understand it too.....nobody is getting tax exempt status any more, no matter what date the donor vehicle is.
The only time our cars will be tax exempt is if they (and us) are around it 40 years time......☹️
Simon
Last edited by simonjrwinter on Thu Mar 05, 2020 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TR6 (V8) Hawk 289 FIA (V8) Doing my bit for global warming.
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

Obviously the rules have changed since I built mine.
Peter C
agnoraan

Post by agnoraan »

If possible I would steer clear of having a car that is registered as historic, having it registered correctly from the point of SVA or BIVA is the only way forward. There have been consultations by the government into limiting the mileage a historic car can do per annum. The talk at one point was to limit them to only 1200 miles per year. This was the figure given by the FBHVC to the government department, as an average number of miles their members drove their cars per year. The laws on what you can and cant do to historic cars is also now under question. To be historic, and be free from tax and not require an MOT, they should now be unmodified in any way from the original manufacturers specification, there was again talk at one point that the car should even be correct to the original manufacturers colours. Try to keep out of historic if possible.
NIge
StewbieC
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by StewbieC »

It has not been possible to get Historic status on a new build car for at least 10 years.

Post by ske »

thanks for the info

it is a bit confusing, so getting a historic reg simply allows the car to carry an age related plate relative to the donor, but the car will still have to have road tax and MOT...? will it also have to pass modern emissions?

I will speak to Gerry regarding build agents