leather seats and dashboard

Information about builds and rebuilds, post away!
stu60
T289R Member
T289R Member

leather seats and dashboard

Post by stu60 »

Hi
i am looking to replace my seats for leather. I am considering a few options:

1. genuine all leather Hawk with carpet rears from Gerry - £1,500 for a pair
2. Cobra Roadster SS - full leather £1,400 or leather face and vinyl rears c£800

Does anyone have any experience of either?

I also want to recover the dashboard and glovebox; does anyone have a blank for sale or a template, or know where i can buy one from? could recover existing but think it will be easier to swap if blank not too expensive.

thanks Stuart
simonjrwinter

Re: leather seats and dashboard

Post by simonjrwinter »

Gerry’s Seats here. VERY comfortable (especially for those of us with..a-hem “extra padding” (lard arses) fitted with a proper rubber trampet rather than just foam. They look “period” to me as well. I would suggest you sit in various seats to see what suits you .... looking right is a bonus, but it needs to feel right for you.
JMHO
Simon

Ps, I’m pretty sure (although not positive) the Cobra roadster Seats just have a foam on hardwood base.
TR6 (V8) Hawk 289 FIA (V8) Doing my bit for global warming.
stu60
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by stu60 »

Hi Simon
Thanks for quick reply. The cobra seats claim "Tubular steel frame with base suspension diaphragm",
I will phone and ask what that means.
Rgds stuart
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

Interesting you mention that Gerry’s Seats have carpet backs. Mine are vinyl rear face.
Peter C
StuBaker

Post by StuBaker »

Morning Stuart,
I purchased a full hide from 'buyleatheronline' . This is huge. The spec was '34 black pigmented printed' about £180 all inc. I was very pleased with it, it has a nice grain and is lovely to work with but not sure if it would be considered 'original' enough.
I have covered my aluminium IVA dash, rear wheel arches, rear bulkhead, small door cards and ally door hinge covers. I cut strips for edging the carpets too.
I have also made door pockets and have enough left for a rear bulkhead pocket and a new dash post IVA.
Regards,
Stu
simonjrwinter

Post by simonjrwinter »

Stu,
The “base suspension diaphragm” is a rubber membrane that the seat foam sits on. Think of it as a small trampoline (the correct upholstery term is “trampet”)
It makes for a ver comfortable ride. 👍
TR6 (V8) Hawk 289 FIA (V8) Doing my bit for global warming.