Let the games begin ...

Information about builds and rebuilds, post away!
Dave Woodward
T289R Member
T289R Member

Re: Let the games begin ...

Post by Dave Woodward »

All good to know and sounds like a clear steer.

Thanks.

Post by Roger King »

Sounds like Ed's still using my dimensions then, so as Stu says the stock setup should work. I used Gerry's stock offerings, fine for me.
clive
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by clive »

Roger King wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:49 am
How do you find the Blockleys, Clive? I'm thinking of fitting their 185VR16s to my XK140.
I was looking for a replacement for the Pirellis, and following advice opted for the Blockleys. Initially I only fitted them to the rear as only two Pirellis were worn, but the handling was a bit iffy especially turning into corners. I couldn't put my finger on it, but the car just felt less planted and made me over cautious. I spoke to Blockleys about this and they suggested fitting their tyres all round and if the problem persisted they would refund the cost of all four tyres. On replacing the other two the car was transformed. It now handles better than it did with the Pirellis and looks better too. I can't comment on how long they will last as I've hardly had the car out in the past year having only completed some 3k miles but it is looking good.
Cheers, Clive.

(If I'm not here I'm in my workshop or on the golf course!)
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

Thanks Clive, good enough for me. The price is good and they have the correct look for a 1955 car.
stu60
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by stu60 »

hi
I had 4 Blockleys fitted last month; Pirellis not worn but 10-11 years old. Great service (though will only fit to wheels not car if you use their fitting service ) and car rides/steers well but sidewalls softer. I was thinking of upping the tyre pressure a bit from the 23 all round with Pirellis round to 27-28 and see what difference that makes. Added bonus they defintely look better and more period than the Pirellis.

Let me know what you think re Tyre pressures when you get them fitted.
Rgds Stuart
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

I will, Stu - but given the car they will be going on currently looks like this, don't hold your breath...
IMG_8638.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
simonjrwinter

Post by simonjrwinter »

That looks like a proper job being done on that. It’ll be a thing of beauty when done.
Simon
TR6 (V8) Hawk 289 FIA (V8) Doing my bit for global warming.
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

Thanks, I hope so. Ah well, coffee break over - back to the welder!
Dave Woodward
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by Dave Woodward »

Roger King wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 11:53 pm Dave, you can assemble the hubs on the opposite sides to how you have them in the photo, so the calipers are positioned at the rear of the wheel, like the original Girlings were.
Roger, are there any additional considerations when placing the callipers front vs rear. I’d imagine they’d be more likely to pick up contamination in the pads when placed to the rear but am probably overthinking it all :shock:

Dave.

Post by Roger King »

I don't see why they would - but both our 'moderns' have the rear calipers behind the axle, and of course original Cobras did. The Jag calipers on my old Hawk are at the rear and that's done a lot of miles now, over the years.