MGB Stub Axles.. new v's old

Information about builds and rebuilds, post away!
Stephen Auty

MGB Stub Axles.. new v's old

Post by Stephen Auty »

Hi.
This is my first post , I've been in communication with Stuart many times and he's been brilliant at providing me with his knowledge and experience.

I'm just starting to get things moving having placed an order with Gerry a couple of months ago and although it's going to be more than a year before i get the car, iv'e started on the engine (Ford 302) and now just received a pile of MGB parts to clean up.

Just in the process of removing the stub axles from the suspension parts and looking at the work involved to re bush and set them up (via Andrew's video on Youtube) it doesn't seem worth the time and cost when you can buy a new set from MGB Hive for £130 each. But are they any good?

Has anyone any experience of these new components as I know from my motorbike builds much of the new stuff coming from the Far East is sub standard and very cheap for that reason but I have no idea if these are indeed made in India/China?

Seems to be the same for the hubs but I know these are a quality part made in the UK so it seems like a no brainer to put new hubs to new wheels..right?

So with regards to the front end the only part I might use is the steering arm! as I'm going for the coil over suspension package.
kdavies3

Re: MGB Stub Axles.. new v's old

Post by kdavies3 »

I bought some new track rod ends from MGB Hive before the car even moved off my build ramp the rubbers rotted out and collapsed.
I'm only talking a few months here.
They replaced the joints of course, they said they'd never had it before.
I know that I hadn't wiped them with anything that may have caused it.
Maybe a bad batch of rubber?
I agree it's a fine line between rebuilding the old and buying new.
You can buy brand new Princess 4 pot calipers cheaper than buying the parts to rebuild original ones.
Kev Davies
DAX Mk4, 383 Chevy Stroker, Tremec. SOLD
Contemporary CCX 3-4028, 445ci Big Block FORD FE,TKO 600. SOLD
Dax De Dion LS2 and T56. SOLD
1965 Ford Mustang 289 Convertible SOLD
In build Hawk 289 (302) Sebring. Awaiting IVA:D
Stephen Auty

Post by Stephen Auty »

I know what you mean, anything rubber I have bought for my bikes just rot away.
Caliper bleed nipple covers for my Yamaha from eBay basically disintegrated in under a year , the original ones lasted 30yrs and just looked tired.

I want to use the old stuff and recondition it but when you see that it hardly seems worth it.
You wonder what the metal quality is like and the tolerances
If I can borrow a reamer from someone along with a large tap handle I'll give it a go I think.
StewbieC
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by StewbieC »

You may even find that your stub axles are fine and don't need any work other than a good clean and new rubbers and cupped washers on the lower trunion and replacement bushes on the top. They are so simple to remove if they need work in the future.
In Birmingham we say "If it aint bost, doh fix it!"

Post by Stephen Auty »

That was my thought too but there is some play there but it might be the wheel bearings , I'll find out soon.
David Large

Post by David Large »

I regularly get an advisory about play in the front wheel bearings by younger MOT testers. Taper roller bearings need a tiny amount of play or they overheat and seize up. My car has done 60,000 miles in 30 years without any problem and no rubbers replaced.
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

I agree with David. If there is no play at all when trying to rock the wheel from top to bottom then it’s too tight.
Basically the taper bearings need 0.001” end float and that translates into noticeable rocking of the wheel.
I got used to detecting the correct amount of play on my Ford front wheels. The MGB set up is just the same.
Peter C
clive
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by clive »

According to the Haynes Manual, the wheel bearing end float should be 0.002 to 0.004 ins, (0.05 - 0.1mm)
Cheers, Clive.

(If I'm not here I'm in my workshop or on the golf course!)
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

I stand corrected. That will translate into even more apparent free play when testing the wheel movement.
I confess I quoted the 0.001” from memory and the Ford tolerances may well be tighter.
Peter C
clive
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by clive »

Not the easiest of bearings to set up, but there are plenty of videos showing how to adjust the end float using shims. One thing you want to avoid is the modern way of torquing up the nut and easing off a flat on the nut.
Cheers, Clive.

(If I'm not here I'm in my workshop or on the golf course!)