Wiper Motor

Information about builds and rebuilds, post away!
Chris Pendry
T289R Member
T289R Member

Wiper Motor

Post by Chris Pendry »

Hello I have a perfectly serviceable Mgb wiper motor with tubing & wheel boxes etc and wondered if this is possible to adapt for my Hawk 289 build - any advice on this would be appreciated
I would also be grateful for the dimension between the wheel boxes
Thank you
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Re: Wiper Motor

Post by peterc »

Hi Chris, Its a long time since I built my car and can only advise that I used a 2nd hand wiper assembly and had to adjust the tube lengths to suit.
Distance between wiper arm bosses measures 520 mm ( 20.5") and arm travel approx 120 degrees.
I have seen another posting on the forum recommend 130 degrees.
Maybe someone else can advise the correct gear you need which will give you the correct stroke.
I can't see any reason why you can't cut adjust an MBG assembly to suit.
Hope that assists.
Peter C
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

I have just come across the build manual.
Wiper centres are correct at 20.5” and should be marked on the body work.
It confirms a 130 degree drive wheel is needed plus mentions getting hold of a longer rack thus inferring that a standard MGB rack might be a bit short.
It also mentions a Lucas 72891 wiper boss is ideal as it has a longer stem to allow for the thick fibreglass.
Maybe I was just lucky I had a suitable set.
Peter C
Chris Pendry
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by Chris Pendry »

Many thanks Peter for your replies.Even though I have the build manual (kit due March time ...?🤞) there doesn’t seem to be much info on this.My elderly father who is an engineer by trade and definitely ‘old school’ wants to adapt the mgb motor and make a mock up to check the sweep etc