Donor MG

Information about builds and rebuilds, post away!
David_W

Donor MG

Post by David_W »

Hi guys,

I’m hoping to build a Hawk 289 when I retire, which is is a couple of years away. I have a basket case MGB roadster as a donor. The MG is currently on SORN but it’s in the way, so I’d like to strip it down and get rid of the rotten body. Can I do that now or will that cause issues if I try to put it’s identity on a Hawk in a few years from now?

Thanks
David
StewbieC
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Re: Donor MG

Post by StewbieC »

Hello David,
There is no issue with stripping it now with the identity on Sorn.
Take plenty of photos of the complete car with plates on it. Also the removal of parts you will be using. If you get photos of you dismantling the car that is also a bonus.
Keep the VIN plate off the bulkhead and don't give vehicle details to the scrap men or they will incorrectly "scrap" the identity too.
Get some secure axle stands and make sure you dismantle the car on firm level ground. Plenty of the bolts will be rusted up and you will need to swing on them.
I like the tripod stands with the pin that goes through to secure them rather than the ratchet type. Machine Mart do some 490mm high https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/clarke- ... le-stands/ that give great access for building your Hawk too.
StewbieC
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by StewbieC »

On another note, the lead time for a Hawk is nearing two years. Paying the deposit gets you on the list.
David_W

Post by David_W »

Thanks for the info. How do you get the scrap taken away? Not sure if there’s a market for scrap metal without salvageable parts at the moment?

Also, what’s the main components you’d take off a ‘72 MGB for a Hawk? My wife also has an immaculate ‘66 but I can’t go anywhere near that one! :lol:

Cheers
David
StewbieC
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by StewbieC »

The parts you need are steering rack, front uprights (stub axles), front suspension complete if you want to use it, front anti roll bar if you want to use it (most upgrade to a thicker and stiffer unit), rear axle (wire wheel axle is needed if you want to fit wires) Rostyle axle can be used on a Sebring type Hawk with Halibrand wheels, handbrake lever can be part ex'd for a few quid off a new one off Gerry (which is an original type) and lever shocks front and back if you want to use them. That's pretty much it. You might be able to use a few other bits and pieces but nothing else unless you want a good quality original car.
You will have to pay to have the rest removed unless you have the ability to get it gone yourself. It'll be worth about a fiver from a scrap metal merchant, double that if the battery is chopped in with it.
You might be able to sell some of the bits on eBay if you can be bothered to go through the hassle.
You need an early type solid steering column and competition lowered leaf springs.
David_W

Post by David_W »

Thanks Stu, are those parts substantial enough to keep the identity, or do I need to be a bit creative with temporary parts? Sadly the 72 has Rostyles and I would definitely want spokes on a Hawk.

I’ll keep some of the other parts as spares for our ‘66 MGB although it’s amazing how little they have in common.

Cheers
David
StewbieC
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by StewbieC »

Options for a Hawk, you need 2 from Steering, Axles both or suspension both.
You don't keep the same identity, you will apply for an age related plate for the same year as the donor

Post by Allanw »

Hi David,

sounds like you might end up right behind me on the waiting list! One of the benefits of getting on the list is Gerry will send you the build manual at that stage, which I'm finding useful to tell me what I need to keep (or for me, what's worth investing in on the MGB). In my case, I bought an MGB which is pretty shabby but runs. I'm going to spend some time tinkering with that to learn the ropes (I've about zero experience) while I wait.

Allan.