Ace engine

Information about builds and rebuilds, post away!
kenv

Re: Ace engine

Post by kenv »

Chris Witor might be worth a try if you're still looking, also does spare parts new and used.
Regards
Ken
Allanw

Post by Allanw »

Hi Richard - how are you getting on? Did you find anything? I’ve taken the leap on one from a 2.5 PI. I believe I may need to fiddle with mountings (I remember something about the saloon engines maybe being mounted at a slight angle) and I know I will need to check cam shafts and things (although the one with the engine is the same as was used on the gt6 mk3 which sounds promising). I also checked that it has the later, “wide” cylinder head which apparently works a fair bit better. I’m currently not aware of anything stopping me from going “backwards” from PI to carbs and that’s what I plan to do - but probably SUs rather than strombergs (as I have had a play with su’s on my donor mgb).

I just came across Chris Witor as mentioned by Ken who seems very knowledgeable but generally there seems to be a lot of information out there and lots of support.
rhattersley
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by rhattersley »

Hi Allan,

Sounds like you've made great progress - well done! I've been all round the houses since first posting, but I'm finally down for a 289 roadster with a Rover V8 from JRV8. I've almost finished building the workshop and Gerry's only a handful of weeks away from starting my chassis so it's all getting pretty exciting.
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

Hi Richard,
If you want authentic white footwells then ensure Gerry knows now before he starts the fibreglassing.
It might be a small extra cost but adds to the correct look?
Peter C
Allanw

Post by Allanw »

Mainly for the benefit of anyone who reads this thread in future, the triumph engines are heavy! Fortunately the engine was on wheels and after a bit of planning I took car ramps for the longish trip to collect it. Would have been a big job just to push it up the ramps into the boot with two of us. Fortunately the seller enlisted a friend. The clearance once in the boot was tight as well and I have a Volvo XC60 which I consider to be fairly big. Looks like a lovely, well cared for engine but I’m yet to inspect it in too much detail. I also have to decide whether to ship it off to someone to refurbish or start taking it apart myself (there are some good videos of someone doing exactly that on YouTube by someone called “chef tush” (!?) if anyone is interested. Plus my neighbour tells me he’s rehoned his cylinders and changed his bearings before which makes it seem less daunting.

To touch on a couple of my points about the triumph engines, yes you can remove the pi if you want to (the chap I bought from had done it to one of his three triumph saloons!) and the cams are more about emissions at this age. The later engines (early 70s) all had a particular camshaft designed to meet newer emissions rules so I will need to stick to that as the Iva test checks the emissions based on the regulations when the engine was made (right?)

I have to say learning all this as I prepare for my build is great fun 🙂
simonjrwinter

Post by simonjrwinter »

I wouldn’t worry too much about the camshaft/emissions, as far as I’m aware, an early 70’s engine will probably just require a “visible smoke test”
But check in case I’m talking out of my ….

Simon
TR6 (V8) Hawk 289 FIA (V8) Doing my bit for global warming.
Allanw

Post by Allanw »

Thanks Simon. I was starting to worry about the emissions test as there’s plenty about how the triumphs (and I assume others) were intentionally de-tuned around that time to meet emissions (Wikipedia has a big article on triumph i6’s and although they are fundamentally the same engine they get less powerful with the newer models). I remember the test is based on the age of the engine (and some sort of proof of age is required which is something I’m going to worry about later) so if triumph had to de-tune to meet regulations it was definitely on my radar of things to think about. Reassuring to know it may not be that stringent.
Allanw

Post by Allanw »

P.s. do you really have a tr6 with a v8? Sounds like fun…
simonjrwinter

Post by simonjrwinter »

AllanW wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 9:42 pm P.s. do you really have a tr6 with a v8? Sounds like fun…
Yes, owned it for many years, not particularly fast, but lots of torque and a lovely sound.
Simon
TR6 (V8) Hawk 289 FIA (V8) Doing my bit for global warming.
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

Engines pre Aug 1st 1975 only have a visual emission test. E,g. Smoke.
Post Aug ‘75 requirements start at 4.5% CO dropping to 3.5% post Aug ‘86.
It’s after Aug ‘92 it gets more serious at 0.5%.
Throughout that period it’s 0.12% HC ( hydrocarbons)
Any pre ‘92 engine in reasonable condition should be able to meet that spec even on carburettors.
Peter C