Ace engine

Information about builds and rebuilds, post away!
rhattersley
T289R Member
T289R Member

Ace engine

Post by rhattersley »

Since putting down my deposit on a Hawk Ace last spring, Gerry & crew have done an amazing job and are still aiming to have it ready this summer despite everything! While they've been doing that I've been busy building a double garage & workshop for it (gave me something to do over the summer at least!), but now it's definitely time to pull my finger out and get ready for the car itself, so...

Ideally I'd like a Triumph 2500 engine with carbs, but they seem hard to track down. Are there good sources out there that I've just not found yet? The ideal would be the equivalent of JRV8 for the Rover V8, but I've a couple of good friends and neighbours that have rebuilt classic engines before so that route is OK too.

This is my first foray into the world of kit cars, so any pointers much appreciated!
StewbieC
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Re: Ace engine

Post by StewbieC »

rhattersley
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by rhattersley »

Thanks Stu - that looks promising.
simonjrwinter

Post by simonjrwinter »

Try a post on the TR register website, quite often there are engines for sale on there

Simon
TR6 (V8) Hawk 289 FIA (V8) Doing my bit for global warming.
stu60
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by stu60 »

As an alternative and easier to source, i thought this BMW engined car looked good. i think others have used the BMW straight 6 too.

https://aceac.weebly.com/ac-hawk-projec ... thers.html

ENGINE

BMW M20, rebuilt and bored out from 2.5 to 2.6 Litre by Robin Lackford Engineering. Triple Weber 40-DCOE carburetors on aluminum manifold with customized throttle linkage, trumpets and K&N filters. Tubular bespoke German hi-flow exhaust inlet manifold exiting through a customized Austin-Healey twin pipe exhaust system.

Gearbox
Getrag 4 speed rebuilt by Robin Lackford Engineering in Nov 2010.

Rgds Stuart
rhattersley
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by rhattersley »

Thanks for the M20 suggestion. The idea has definitely grown on me.

Any idea who modified that car to fit the M20? In initial discussions with Gerry we didn't know how well the M20 would fit under the lower bonnet of the 2.6 style, but from those photos clearly it must be possible. It'd be great to be able to check if they hit any significant snags to fit everything in.
StewbieC
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by StewbieC »

Just be mindful of the engine age. Age determines emissions requirements. Current details are in the IVA manual. Early 80's should be tuneable with the Webers, later will require FI. Later still and you will need to fit Cats.
There are a couple of other considerations, Ignition may need to be triggered using a wasted spark ignition system using an ECU and a daisy wheel crank pulley.
I'm in the process of assembling an Ace replica with a big 6 M30 engine. There is quite a lot that is off piste, plenty of design and fabrication required. All do-able but there are a number of considerations.
The Triumph route is a tried and tested method and certainly enables more period under bonnet visuals, if that is a need.
rhattersley
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by rhattersley »

The current idea is to start with the engine & transmission from the MGB donor. That should make the build & registration process relatively quick and straightforward. Then while I enjoy being on the road, I can take my time to source, rebuild, etc. a replacement without having to rush anything. (For example, that would give me the time to learn what a wasted spark ignition system is, etc!)

The current MOT regs are very explicit that the emissions for a replacement are determined by the engine at the time of the IVA, so that should make that side of things easier as well.
stu60
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by stu60 »

Hi
sorry i have no explicit knowledge of teh BMW engined build i just remeber reading about it. however, on the Hawk289 site it says this is an option as per this excerpt so i would think someone at Hawk could have more info

"As a model designation, the terms 1.8 and 2.6 are not only to denote the earliest two model styles, but also the power units to use in them. The 1.8 MGB can be used to aid a tight budget, but the 2.5 Triumph 6 and the BMW 6 units are also an excellent choice.

The Hawk 1.6/2.8 uses the same twin-tube chassis as the Hawk 289 and the GRP body is constructed to the same very high standard. Like the original, the car is ideally powered by a straight six cylinder engine. Although the 2.5 litre Triumph unit is the obvious choice, mountings for the BMW 6-cylinder engine, or even the 2.6 litre Ford Zephyr (which powered the original 2.6) can be fitted to special order."
Allanw

Post by Allanw »

I’m in a similar boat, cruising behind you by about 6-12 months (I hope to be at the front of the queue by next Christmas). I’ve been keeping an eye on eBay and they crop up now and again. Also, as someone else mentioned, the tr register have had one or two since I’ve been watching. They do seem a little few and far between so I’m hoping that not being in a rush becomes my saviour.

Gerry also mentioned to me that the triumph engine from a saloon may be in better condition than one from one of the sports cars, which makes sense.

Allan.