Engine crane...

Information about builds and rebuilds, post away!
Allanw

Engine crane...

Post by Allanw »

Hi all,

I have just secured a Triumph 6cyl engine but now I have to worry about collecting it (these things are apparently 130kg!). I'm weighing up buying or hiring but either way I don't want a wasted trip because I didn't bring some piece of equipment or hired the wrong crane...

Firstly, I don't suppose anyone in the vague vicinity of Reading has one they fancy either lending me (in exchange for a few quid, obviously) or selling?
Beyond that any tips on what I need and how to go about it would be appreciated - I've heard if you extend the boom then the supported load drops and things like that. What works in practice?

Short term its simply delivering an engine outside of the car but later on I obviously want to be able to get engines in and out of cars.

Thanks!

Allan.
andyg
T289R Member
T289R Member

Re: Engine crane...

Post by andyg »

Hi Allan,

Just in case you don’t see it, I have sent you a pm.

Andy
colinA
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by colinA »

I recently weighed a 2ltr carb triumph engine c/w flywheel and clutch - it weighe 445lbs / 202kg.
amulheirn
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by amulheirn »

Hi Allan,

I'm about half an hour south of Reading near Farnham and could lend you my crane. From memory it is rated for 2 tons. The more you extend the boom that drops down to (at full extension) half a ton I think. But still, that was plenty for installing a Ford V8 in mine.

Cheers,

Andy
StewbieC
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by StewbieC »

Go with a long reach one if you consider buying one. Engines sit quite far back in a Hawk.