Looking to get a Hawk 289

Information about builds and rebuilds, post away!
Chonciceptor

Looking to get a Hawk 289

Post by Chonciceptor »

Greetings all,

I am looking at getting a hawk 289 kit and have some questions.

1) the mgb donors that are available to me have bolt on wheels. I want wire wheels. Will the wire wheel conversion kit solve this problem correctly?

2) are spinners universal? I have reproduction ac ace spinners, would they work with these?

3) is there a transverse leaf spring option?

4) anyone been able to get a hold of hawk? I’ve sent several emails and no response. I live in the states and phoning would be really inconvenient.

Thank you all in advance!
amulheirn
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Re: Looking to get a Hawk 289

Post by amulheirn »

Hi there - welcome to the forum and I hope you finally get through to Hawk. If you do get one I think you'll be pleased with the quality - we have a couple of members in the US who have Hawks. If you joined the club you'd be able to find them on the members database and confer. Try emailing gerry@ instead of enquiries@hawkcars.co.uk.

I can't answer question 1, but I'm sure someone here knows the answer.

Repro spinners for an Ace would work I believe. If in doubt, email Motor Wheel Services and ask - they may repro AC spinners. http://shop.mwsint.com/product_details.asp?id=76

There's no transverse leaf spring option in the fibreglass cars he makes, but if you choose the aluminium version then that's possible. You'll need to enquire as details aren't on the website.
Chonciceptor

Post by Chonciceptor »

Thank you so much for your response and I’ll definitely take your advice!!
Chonciceptor

Post by Chonciceptor »

Also, what club and how do I join. Thanks again
simonjrwinter

Post by simonjrwinter »

You’re on the website…….the 289 register!

There you go….. https://www.the289register.com/amember/signup
TR6 (V8) Hawk 289 FIA (V8) Doing my bit for global warming.
Chonciceptor

Post by Chonciceptor »

Thank you, I was totally missing that. However, when I try and join it will not let me use my user name for some reason. It’s telling me it’s already taken which I highly doubt. Am I doing something wrong?
Chonciceptor

Post by Chonciceptor »

Also, if I try and log in to the club and press forget password, it say that the user does not exist. So, not only is my username taken, but I don’t exist lol.
StewbieC
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by StewbieC »

Wire wheel axles and Rostyle MGB have different widths. The Rostyle axles have a wider track width.
If you want a roadster / slabsider you want a wire wheel axle as otherwise the wheels will stick out of the arches.
If you go for a Sebring style Hawk with wider skirts at the rear then the Rostyle axle has the wheels in the perfect location.
If you are in the US and are keeping the car over there, there shouldn't be an issue with fitting an IRS from the outset?! (Other than a significant increase in cost).
As to membership, we have a few members in the US, you get to see who they are when you join. The US representative has a Hawk and he is based in California.
I'll ask our IT support to review the issue with you upgrading your membership to full member.
amulheirn
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by amulheirn »

Chonciceptor wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 10:09 pm Also, if I try and log in to the club and press forget password, it say that the user does not exist. So, not only is my username taken, but I don’t exist lol.
I have imported your username from the forum back into the members database now, so you should be able to log in here:

https://www.the289register.com/amember/

Once logged in, you should see this screen with a link so you can join the club like the one below:
Notification_Center.png
Once payment has been made, you'll get access to all the other parts of the members area, the wiki and so on. You'll also start receiving the club magazine, but for that, make sure you update your profile with proper contact information - I've just put dummy information in there so far.

Let us know if you have any issues,

Andy
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Chonciceptor

Post by Chonciceptor »

Thank you guys for all of your help, now a member and good to go!!