Original Dash Layout

Information about builds and rebuilds, post away!
StuBaker

Original Dash Layout

Post by StuBaker »

One of my winter jobs is to replace the IVA dash with something more original. I'd also like to sit lower in the car with a lowered steering wheel and dash .
Any one else already done this?
Does anyone have a datum I could use to assess the potential for this? I.E. 'distance from middle of door top to floor'.
How much lower can I expect to go with Gerry's seats as opposed to MX5 currently fitted?
Do I need to lower the floor?
Has anyone replaced the scuttle brace with a more correctly located curved tube directly under the scuttle?
It looks like if I lower the dash by 1-1/2"there will be very little space between the tunnel and dash bottom. Does anyone have a dimension for that?
Any other thoughts/considerations?
I've had a 'man look' through the T289R site and not yet found what I think I need.
Thanks in advance...
clive
T289R Member
T289R Member

Re: Original Dash Layout

Post by clive »

The only solution I have seen regarding the lowering of the Hawk seats is to remove the adjustable runners and bolt the seat directly to the floor.
Cheers, Clive.

(If I'm not here I'm in my workshop or on the golf course!)
simonjrwinter

Post by simonjrwinter »

I’ve got my seats (Gerry’s) bolted directly to the floor and it feels much lower than sitting in one with runners. Try it first. Lowering the floor (if it can be done) would be a fair old job.
Simon
TR6 (V8) Hawk 289 FIA (V8) Doing my bit for global warming.
StuBaker

Post by StuBaker »

Thanks Guys,
StuBaker

Post by StuBaker »

Thanks Guys,
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

Don’t forget you still need something to support the steering wheel shaft. The main issue between an original and a Hawk is that the scuttle top is lower than the original.
One of our members has I believe lowered the floor in order to use a correct sized 16” steering wheel. I can only guess that involved cutting out the thick marine ply and replacing with sheet Ali.
Without lowering the floor I would not be tempted to lower the bottom edge of the dash. It’s a close fit for my knees and I’m a pretty average height.
Peter C
StuBaker

Post by StuBaker »

Good info, thanks Peter.
I know it will be close but I want to get all the facts I can before proceeding.
I was lucky enough to sit in a faithful Hawk replica at the NEC but I've completely forgot the name of the kind gentleman and his car. It was night and day different to mine.
One of the reasons I want be lower is to get the top of my head out of the breeze on motorway runs. I do avoid motorways but I was late home from the NEC and it got a bit cold.
So, is the scuttle top lower or the floor higher? Or both? And the transmission tunnel? I thought the body was an accurate replica?
To be honest, if I don't get it sorted this winter I'll have a go next year.
Thanks again
Stu
clive
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by clive »

FYI....
Cheers, Clive.

clive
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by clive »

StuBaker wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 11:16 pm One of the reasons I want be lower is to get the top of my head out of the breeze on motorway runs. I do avoid motorways but I was late home from the NEC and it got a bit cold.
Get a hat. Cheaper and easier than lowering the seats!
Cheers, Clive.

KevinW
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by KevinW »

peterc wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 8:18 pm Don’t forget you still need something to support the steering wheel shaft. The main issue between an original and a Hawk is that the scuttle top is lower than the original.
One of our members has I believe lowered the floor in order to use a correct sized 16” steering wheel. I can only guess that involved cutting out the thick marine ply and replacing with sheet Ali.
Without lowering the floor I would not be tempted to lower the bottom edge of the dash. It’s a close fit for my knees and I’m a pretty average height.
Peter C
Although not a Hawk, I have seats bolted straight to floor pan for the same reasons stated - no issues encountered to date.
Many years ago (~2007) I read a whole set of build logs on the web (might even have been on the T289R site?) about a guy who built a 289FIA Hawk and did indeed lower the floor pan by cutting out the chassis floors and rewelding a dropped wedge into position. It was a faff, but I think he felt it was worth it so he didn't look over the top of the screen.