Original Dash Layout

Information about builds and rebuilds, post away!
StuBaker

Re: Original Dash Layout

Post by StuBaker »

Hi Peter, thanks for that, that's a bonus 1/2". It was just a quick look underneath in the cold, without my garage glasses.
I pulled out the seat and with a thin base it should be possible to get close to where I want to be. It feels much better with the door in my armpit.
Watching videos of me driving around reminds me of those with the half scale kiddy Cobras sat on top of the car.
I could still do with a definitive number for floor to scuttle top or door top on an original 289 just for reference or target. Or steering wheel height.
I'm not sure which added sample you mean but I'm quite sure the one copied from the wiki is not for an AC Cobra 289 but is a '289 sport' I think the 289 Cobra. The tacho and speedo are not level.
Yes, I now have lot's of pictures of dashboards for most of the 6000 to 6064 cars . All unique. Makes me feel better about adding hazard, fog, USB, sat nav, doppler radar etc. One or two are unrestored originals (the pix)
I don't have a drawing for the dash so it'll be guesstimated for now from scaled from images on a 60" telly. I don't mind doing it again when I have more accurate info it's all part of the fun.
Thanks again
clive
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by clive »

I'm not sure about original 289, but this is an original 260 dash...

Cheers, Clive.

(If I'm not here I'm in my workshop or on the golf course!)
StuBaker

Post by StuBaker »

Very nice.
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

Looking at photos I think we can conceed that the two main dials should be positioned horizontal and the sample dash layout would be from the AC289 and not the Mk2 Cobra.
Personally I think that there is enough wind coming around the end of the windscreen to need the wind wings and equally the sun visors angled up help with wind curling in from above. You could always wear googles or a helmet instead.
Peter C
StuBaker

Post by StuBaker »

Yes Peter, I think you're right about the wind. On cold nights a hat is a must for me. I tend to wear sun glasses or even safety glasses when driving. I have a fear of getting hit in the eye by a fat bumble bee. A nightmare on a bike I can tell you.
I must say I've driven 4000 miles now and it was only that one cold drive in November that bothered me. I only use the top and sidescreens when accompanied by HRH. Too much luxury.
I'm starting to draw the dash tomorrow then lay out full scale and try a fit. If it doesn't look too shabby I'll add some pix. Any guidance much appreciated.
I'm not sure I'll get it finished before spring. I've been thinking that sourcing the switches and warning lights will take a while and I may prioritise new seats.
StuBaker

Post by StuBaker »

Well dash is sketched up and now on CAD. Had to make a few assumptions on dimensions, the images are difficult to scale and I believe all slightly different. I've used 'original' cars as samples and also cross referenced to some CSX cars. I used the centre of the car and the bottom edge as datums and measurements taken from there, then rounded out to a reasonable imperial number. Looks good on paper.
Next step is a cardboard cut out. I've done a quick costing for switches, knobs and warning lights and I'm well over £500 so I may be using old ones until Christmas and my birthday.
I did notice the gap between dash and transmission tunnel is very small. Is the tunnel higher on the Hawk too?
And just one more. There are some drawings around, I think the Factory Fives, where they have multiple radii for the glove box lid. Is this correct? Seems a bit too complex for the AC Factory to me so I kept it simple with a 3" one end, 2" the other and about 50" for the top.
I'm going for 18g with a 3/4" return on the bottom edge.