Original Dash Layout

Information about builds and rebuilds, post away!
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Re: Original Dash Layout

Post by peterc »

I believe that Gerry’s moulding whilst a very good look alike is not accurate to the last few millimetres. The scuttle is not so curved e.g. as tall in the middle.
Viewing Clive’s posting of the dash shows a good curve and the large dials are not in line horizontally whereas in a Hawk they are level.
If you sat in a certain black Cobra and it was night and day different then you would have probably sat in Howard Doberman’s car.
It is not a fibreglass Hawk but an Ali bodied car supplied by Gerry and a Kirkham derived example.
It is an ex Roger King car constructed to the nth degree to be as accurate as possible to an original factory 60’s supplied item.
There would definitely be a significant difference between that and a standard Hawk body.
Peter C
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

Further to my comment on replacing the floor with sheet Ali. It may well be that Kevin’s comment of a welded in wedge was the way it was constructed. That would avoid any issues with the joint between original floor and bodywork.
Peter C
StuBaker

Post by StuBaker »

Thanks again chaps, keep it coming.
I have recently bought a hat, no bobble as it was lifting, and thinsulate lined to reduce wind chill. I've got big ears and they flutter against my head so I need ear flaps too. Oh, and I'm trying to avoid fitting visors and side flaps.
I'm currently scaling down COB series dashes from HD images on a 65" TV. Double size to reduce errors, and measuring in inches and rounding to the nearest fraction.
I think the current scuttle brace will be in the way of the gauges at the rear so I'm looking at fitting a curved brace over the top to hang the steering column.
I've noticed the glove box has multiple radii too, so if anyone knows...
Cheers,
Stu
StuBaker

Post by StuBaker »

Haha!
Just found Roger Kings pix from 2008! Spot on...
although different to COB 6007...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
StuBaker

Post by StuBaker »

Clive, I think the dash you posted is the ERA version. I think it's the same one on the wiki?
Update: the AC 289, ERA must do a reasonable copy. Maybe.
StuBaker

Post by StuBaker »

OK, so I'm back from my hols. I've taken a few measurements.
I just remembered the chassis rails are 4" not 3 " and the floor is about 3/4" thick so I believe the floor is 1-3/4" to high. Any thoughts?
Oh, BTW Migge, I still haven't been able to contact you through PM. Is it OK to put email address on here?
Migge

Post by Migge »

cobrakurtz at web.de
StuBaker

Post by StuBaker »

Thanks Migge. I'm just about to go out for the evening so I'll contact you tomorrow,
Cheers,
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

Each car being hand assembled meant they often had differences. Some even had different gauges due to what was available at the time.
It depends on whether you are trying to replicate a specific car or just be generically correct.
I would have thought that Rogers car would be as good to copy as any bearing in mind the efforts he went to.
Peter C
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

I have just looked up the photo for COC6007 and that Dashboard has definitely been modified. The grouping of switches over on the left is wrong. The headlight flash was over on the RH of the steering wheel. I don’t think the push to start switch was over on the left either.
I would suggest that the sample added to the forum looks correct.
Also I have just re read one of your earlier postings. The Hawk chassis is 3.5” not 3”. ( probably 3”NB sch 10 = 3.5” OD with 1/8” wall)
Peter C