Steering Column fitment

Information about builds and rebuilds, post away!
Chris Pendry
T289R Member
T289R Member

Steering Column fitment

Post by Chris Pendry »

Just mounting the early Mgb column to my Hawk 289 build
I notice the manual just mentions the upper clamp (standard Mgb) to the scuttle via supplied bracket
No mention of the lower bracket (standard Mgb) which I believe could be attached through to the top of the footwell box - I feel the column should be secured twice rather than just relying on tight fit of the outer column protruding through to the engine bay
Just wondered if anyone had any thoughts on using the lower bracket and also if the concertina rubber sleeve is used or just a seal of sikaflex
StuBaker

Re: Steering Column fitment

Post by StuBaker »

I liked the clean look and was going to leave it but...
I believe the manual only mentions upper bracket but I fitted an oval ally plate at the bottom. This allows you to over size the hole and align more easily.
Realistically the plate is only held in by two small screws in glass fibre whereas the column end is 1-1/4" so providing you made it tight it's not going any where so there may not be a requirement for a bracket.
BUT - don't do what I did and fit the holes vertically - the screws are hard to get in and fasten up..
Be sure to use tank washers to spread the load so that will give you an idea of how large the plate needs to be.
It's also difficult to cut the angled oval hole in the plate.
So if I was to do it again I would fit an MGB or similar bracket with a nice tight hole.
Don't fogret to seal the bare glass fibre after cutting
rhattersley
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by rhattersley »

I'm glad you asked Chris. I'm in a similar situation with my Hawk 289 build. I've been fiddling with the upper column between other tasks and had also wondered about fitting a lower bracket.
Chris Pendry
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by Chris Pendry »

Thanks for both replies - I think I may adapt a lower bracket to secure it lower down and as you say Stu it allows you to oversize the hole slightly for alignment and also can then use the concertina sleeve grommet. I can counter sink nut and bolt it from the top footwell box . My ally cladding will cover this