Schoolboy error - dash construction

Information about builds and rebuilds, post away!
StuBaker

Schoolboy error - dash construction

Post by StuBaker »

Made new almost correct Ally dash, looks pretty good... until... I cut the gauge holes before covering but for some reason known only to the butterflies in my head I didn't drill the switch holes. Doesn't matter I said to myself.
Hours later I'm picking swarf out from behind the leather like a toddler picking his nose. (Hoover helps but don't tell the Grandkids!)
Looks OK now though.
So my advice is drill all your holes before covering.
My only defence is the fitting operation where there is a definite sequence to events and sometimes I lose my way.
One other notable problem is getting the leather around the glovebox and steering apertures.
Lots of sweating, clamps and glue.
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Re: Schoolboy error - dash construction

Post by peterc »

I hope you cut the gauge holes big enough for the leather to be wrapped around behind. I used three offcuts around each gauge in turn to ensure they fitted correctly.
The other head ache is when you chose to change a switch later on and then find it needs a slightly bigger hole.
Peter C
StuBaker

Post by StuBaker »

Hmm, interesting.
I did that last time as my hole saws were too big (54mm and 104mm) so I had to push the leather through.
This time I fitted drilled the wooden buck with my 54mm holesaw then fitted an oversized bearing to my router and enlarged the ally hole from 44mm.
My wooden buck was 3d to match the dash and pilot holes drilled through the top hold down plank to keep it all aligned.
Almost perfect fit, just needed a millifrazz out with emery wheel. Speedo and tach absolutely spot on so no requirement for fettling.
I cut the leather out with a broken edge of stanley blade, about 3/16", in a pin chuck.

I pre stretched the leather into the glove box until I felt the outside was too misshapen then glued it all up.
Maybe should have done a bit more and glued the glovebox reveal first then stretched the outside?
I also have a 1" return on the reveal which stretches everything a lot.
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

I just followed what the trimmer told me to do. He glued the leather on and made the glove box trim and door pockets. I worked on the premise that it was his day job plus he had trimmed one of Gerry’s cars so I didn’t take the risk of spoiling the leather.
Peter C
StuBaker

Post by StuBaker »

Update.
I had to do a couple more holes. This time I clamped the ally with the leather face down and clamped as close as possible to the hole onto a piece of ply. I used a pilot hole to cut the leather then used a step drill. Success. Neat, no twisting of the leather and no swarf under the leather.
Every day's a lesson.
Hoping to have it in for the weekend then Boom, were off for the summer.