Spring cleaning

Information about builds and rebuilds, post away!
Dave Woodward
T289R Member
T289R Member

Spring cleaning

Post by Dave Woodward »

Having experienced some issues with the clutch release bearing during the LMC22 run, the engine duly came out and clutch has been replaced. Whilst out however I've taken the opportunity to do some cosmetic work in the engine bay, namely painting the foot boxes white and decking the inner arches in aluminium. The footboxes have now been done and I am in the process of moving onto the inner arches.

IMG_0815.jpeg
31548ADC-E625-4DD8-831A-47BF32D0C6DC.jpg
I've been considering relocating the coil, fuel pressure regulator and washer bottle (especially the washer bottle) which are all mounted to the inner arches and wondered if anybody had any thoughts on the matter. I had been considering mounting the coil to the engine but wondered about heat transfer and possible issues later.

Just putting it out there for any thoughts and discussion. Fallback position is everything stays where it is but just thought I would take an opportunity to rethink/tidy whilst all is out.

Cheers
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Spring cleaning

Post by simonjrwinter »

Looks really good👍
Dave Woodward
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by Dave Woodward »

simonjrwinter wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 1:34 pm Looks really good👍
Feels like I'm still on the outbound half of the journey tbh. Looking forward to getting the ali panels in and starting the return half of the journey back to shore :wink:

Needs to be ready for LMC23 :shock:
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by StewbieC »

Looks great Dave 👍
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

I’d be interested in how you get on with lining the inner arches with Ali. E.g. minimising the joints and getting up into the top of the rear return of the arch. I had thought of just painting them but couldn’t get a smooth enough finish. Ali paint shows up the minutest of scratches.
Peter C
Dave Woodward
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by Dave Woodward »

peterc wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 9:05 pm I’d be interested in how you get on with lining the inner arches with Ali. E.g. minimising the joints and getting up into the top of the rear return of the arch. I had thought of just painting them but couldn’t get a smooth enough finish. Ali paint shows up the minutest of scratches.
Peter C
I’ll keep you posted Peter. Stripping the paraphernalia from the inner wings this week (and probably the brake lines) and will see what progress I can make fitting at the weekend
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by Dave Woodward »

Peter,

I managed to get the first panel in last weekend without having to divide it but you will from the pic that I had to trim a little from the bottom edge in order to clear the main chassis rail (a consequence of being a single piece with a 90 degree bend in it.
My hope is that this will not be visible once the engine is in as it’ll be under the exhaust headers. Some Ali paint may assist also 🤔

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

I’m impressed that you got that in as one piece. Presumably the return portion doesn’t go right up to the top of the wing. I know that the patterns I got hold of were cut short in order to get the panel in despite being a separate piece.
Maybe it wouldn’t look that bad with a separate piece down near the chassis.
As already advised getting a smooth enough finish ready for Ali paint wasn’t easy from my point of view.
Peter C
Dave Woodward
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by Dave Woodward »

Hi Peter.

You should be able to ‘inspect’ it at Silverstone if you are going to be there. The top of the return is flat so doesn’t follow the curve at the top of the wing but isn’t visible unless you put your head in the battery tray so I’m quite happy with it.
Getting it in as one piece was challenging but possible with a little forward thinking. Probably needs a discussion rather than a few lines here 👍