Steering column support

Information about builds and rebuilds, post away!
simonjrwinter

Steering column support

Post by simonjrwinter »

Here we go, the first of many questions……
What is used to support the lower end of the steering column as it goes through the end of the bulkhead?
Thank you
B2ED5325-DDBC-48AC-BFD0-08A02F1B60D5.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
TR6 (V8) Hawk 289 FIA (V8) Doing my bit for global warming.
StuBaker

Re: Steering column support

Post by StuBaker »

try something like this pt no. 14 (try MGOC Spares site)
Or knock one up from aluminium.
Note the use of spacer to prevent over tightening of clamp. (ebay pic)
It doesn't need to be that big or substantial either. Just deep enough to allow the clamp to angle at about 10deg. and long enough to miss the column when fitting screws in.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
clive
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by clive »

Mine isn't supported apart from it being a neat fit through the bulkhead so no movement whatsoever.
Cheers, Clive.

(If I'm not here I'm in my workshop or on the golf course!)
StuBaker

Post by StuBaker »

Mine is too Clive but I think it depends on your dash, indicator and steering wheel boss combination. Mine's hanging in by a gnats at the minute since I changed everything. I noted a later car with the footwell recessed for the column by about an inch so guess it may be marginal...? You do need a minimum length at the end to keep the bottom bush off the taper.
I have Motolita wheel and boss with vw indicator that leaves very little inner shaft in the engine bay.