Hawk 289 for sale

For Sale and Wanted Section
SJ
T289R Member
T289R Member

Hawk 289 for sale

Post by SJ »

I intend to sell my hawk 289 this year. Not sure what route to go down. Pistonheads, auction, autotrader ....anything I should avoid?
Dale Bowman

Re: Hawk 289 for sale

Post by Dale Bowman »

This year?? .... not much left of it :-)
There are 3 types of people in this world
Those who can count and those who cant

DB427SC #006, 427 SO, Toploader
1965 Daytona Coupe ~ Sold
Old Boy Racer

Post by Old Boy Racer »

Have a word with Roger. He has just sold his Hawk so can maybe give you a few pointers. Saw a rather swish ad in Classic & Sportcar mag for it.
Cheers
Robin
SJ
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by SJ »

meant to say next year
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

So I did...

First off I put it on Pistonheads as it was quick and free. Probably very predictably, this drew international attention mostly in the form of some barely-credible timewasters. The first, who phoned me within hours of the ad appearing, was an internet entrepreneur from Thailand who clearly knew something about cars and had a UK agent, a company I knew. I contacted the company for verification who said he was, basically, a waste of space - and so it proved. Much promised (including a pdf of the money transfer!), but nothing happened.
Then the ad came out in Classic and Sportscar, my favoured option. Slow to start, took about a week, which I think resulted in my taking an offer which I otherwise would not have done. Ended up with at least 10-12 very genuine-sounding folk (men of a certain age!) who all knew their stuff expressing an interest, but, as they say, the first to view it bought it. Could have got more, but happy because the new owner will clearly take care of the car.

So, for this type of car, my advice would be a traditional ad in an established classic car mag and be prepared to wait 5-6 weeks for interest to build. Only my advice, mind!

Eighth-page ad was around 130.