WANTED 289 Slab side.

For Sale and Wanted Section
Paul Blore

Re: WANTED 289 Slab side.

Post by Paul Blore »

Hi Greg,

You stated that in order to enter La Coupe Florio, the cars needs to be "as close as possible" to original. I don't want to state the obvious, but the 289 Cobra had transverse leaf suspension front and rear, whereas the Hawk 289 has either MGB or coil-over suspension. Depending on how strict the organisers of the event are, this might be an important factor.

Paul
guilleracing

Post by guilleracing »

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the "Heads Up"

I have checked with the organisers of La Coupe Florio. We have discussed the level of originality required to conform to their entry criteria.

Whilst they are keen to keep the "Spirit of the event" to be dedicated to those original cars, they are more than willing to have close replicas and continuation cars included in their event. They are happy to welcome non original cars so long as they conform to the "Spirit of the rules" They have stressed to me that they want to be seen as "Inclusive" as opposed to "Exclusive"

I have previously been excluded from other events such as the French National Hillclimb Championship for FIA registered Historic cars, for having "Oversize" brake discs.
(They were 1.22mm too thick!) (Perhaps they wouldn't have noticed if I had been 10 seconds behind the French drivers and not at the front!) 8)

I was mistakenly over-concerned about the level of "Period Correctness" required. The "Differences under the skin" are acceptable to the organisers of La Coupe Florio so long as the outside and general appearance of the car is close to an original car.

The next running of La coupe Florio is in August 2015. I should have found a suitable car by then! Fingers crossed! :lol:

I have decided that for my own preference, I will hold out to find a Ford powered car. I am not in a rush and want to buy the "Right for me" thing from the start.

Thanks again,

Greg.
Paul Blore

Post by Paul Blore »

Hi,

La Coupe Florio sounds like an interesting event. I have a Kirkham 427, which probably falls into the "continuation" category, so I'll look into the event as I might be interested in doing it myself.

Paul
guilleracing

Post by guilleracing »

Hi Paul,

I am lucky enough to be personal friends with some of the "L'equipe organisatrice Coupe Florio"

I ran a single seater racing car there for the very first revival of the event in 2011.

This year, they had 50,000 spectators. It is a mini version of Angouleme and very friendly.

I would be happy to help in any way with contacts and background information if I can help.

Regards,

Greg.
Last edited by guilleracing on Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
clive
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by clive »

Not all 289s were fitted with leaf springs. In fact we have an original 289 in the club which was fitted with coil suspension from new.
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

clive wrote:Not all 289s were fitted with leaf springs. In fact we have an original 289 in the club which was fitted with coil suspension from new.
That's true, Clive, but it was the later 'MkIII', sold as 'AC 289s' rather than Cobras, which had the coil spring chassis. According to the books, no coil spring cars were slabsides, all had the wider wheelarch flares and the cut-away doors. Their chassis are entirely different.
Last edited by Roger King on Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
guilleracing

Post by guilleracing »

Goodness me! You guys really know your stuff.

Looks like there is no danger of having a question that no-one can answer!

I am really looking forward to finding a car! :D
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

guilleracing wrote:Goodness me! You guys really know your stuff.

Looks like there is no danger of having a question that no-one can answer!

I am really looking forward to finding a car! :D
Is it definitely a slabside you want? There are some great FIA-style cars for sale at present, which can also take the Le Mans style h'top. Once again, Alan's car comes to mind...
guilleracing

Post by guilleracing »

Hi Roger,

I would consider an FIA car but my last half penny takes me to £30.000.

I have been offered a 302 powered slab side with ( I think.)

Proper Toploader gearbox and Jaguar rear axle, wire wheels and a Le Mans hard top at the very "tip toe top" of my budget.

It needs finishing (Including a respray.)

Is there someone I can speak to to see if this is a car known to the register?

I won't need any details about the owner.

If it is what I think it is, I will be booking a ferry trip some time soon.

Greg.