WANTED 289 Slab side.

For Sale and Wanted Section
guilleracing

Re: WANTED 289 Slab side.

Post by guilleracing »

"Trumpet Fanfare"

My membership sticker and magazine copies have arrived her today.

The envelope looks like it has done a few round in the ring but the contents were safe!

Off to start reading now!

Greg.
clive
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by clive »

Glad to hear it and happy with the delivery time. The collection from the village post office was 16.45 yesterday. :D
guilleracing

Post by guilleracing »

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm. :D

I am still grinning! I have just been over to look at a Cobra 289 which is local to me.

It belongs to Barry Le Feuvre. He lives on the far side of the Island, right on the edge of the sea.

As I live in the dead centre of Guernsey, it was a long drive. 8 Minutes Phew, very exhausting !

Nice car with a very enthusiastic owner.

Greg.
clive
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by clive »

Glad to hear you two managed to get in touch. Hopefully there was no speeding involved!
guilleracing

Post by guilleracing »

No, No speeding, but I did see 4 cars on the way there! Hectic! :shock:
Old Boy Racer

Post by Old Boy Racer »

Hi Greg and welcome. My car is at the other end of the scale to many here in that it was produced by BRA years ago and is one of the first 289 replicas produced in the UK. I bought it as a very sad runner and then spent many happy years rebuilding, tinkering and generally fettling it to get it how I wanted it. Which is a well worn version of an early road race/rally car. Not all have Le Mans type hard tops and indeed many (genuine!!) historic cars that race today use hard tops like mine. The point is that even though it's powered by an uprated Rover (Shelby's first choice via Buick anyway) with modified MG suspension, in most day to day situations - including touring and the odd bit of track day stuff - the results are much the same as Shelby intended. They are great looking, great sounding cars no matter what particular spin you want to put on yours. Not saying you shouldn't do what you are planning, of course you should, but look back on the many books covering early track and rally cars and you'll see that enthusiastic owners made all sorts of often none too subtle "improvements" to turn them into racers. Guess my point is that you don't have to model yours on a particular vehicle unless you really want to. You can make it different to others while still retaining that air of originality. Just a thought - how do ferry prices from France to Guernsey compare to using a UK port. Might it be viable to drive over via Les Huttle in your van/trailer and get a ferry from France?
P1060573 - Copy.JPG
Cheers

Robin
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
guilleracing

Post by guilleracing »

Hi Robin,

Thanks for the reply, I love the look of your car. It looks "The Business!"

Unfortunately although your idea on the ferry trip via France is a good one in principal, there is only one ferry company serving the islands so you can guess what that means for the prices! :roll:

I am still trying to work out exactly which way to go on specification etc.

I have had a look at a BRA car at Hallmark Cars. The one I saw seemed to be a very good "Copy" of the AC original.

Cheers!

Greg
CobStang

Post by CobStang »

Old Boy Racer wrote:
P1060573 - Copy.JPG
Cheers

Robin
You cant keep an old BRA down :)
Here's mine built 1988 now with AVO coilovers all round, fully adjustable double wishbone front suspension (mine not Hoyles) rear discs,
Warmed 3.9 with LT77, and no roof .... ever 8)

David Large

Post by David Large »

Another old BRA built by us between 1985 &1989; 25 years old next February. A 4 litre Rover, Lt77 gearbos, discs on the MGB GTV8 back axle, bigger discs on the front modified suspension. I love it.

David
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.