Wanted - small aluminium scoops

For Sale and Wanted Section
Old Boy Racer

Wanted - small aluminium scoops

Post by Old Boy Racer »

You'd think this would be easy but seems it isn't. Looking for two small rectangular shaped scoops with rounded backs. Like smaller versions of the one I had on my 289 bonnet. They need to be around 120l x 80w x 40 deep. Lots in plastic or glass but can't find off the shelf ones in ally. Any ideas or leads please?

Cheers

Robin
Migge

Re: Wanted - small aluminium scoops

Post by Migge »

No idea what scoops do you mean. Like this?

http://www.ebay.de/itm/Luftungsblech-Lu ... 53fc7c865b
Special customized BRA289
Old Boy Racer

Post by Old Boy Racer »

Yup - that's the sort of thing Migge. Thought somebody in the UK might do them. Thanks.

Robin
Migge

Post by Migge »

Special customized BRA289
PeterA

Post by PeterA »

Robin
These are marine shell ventilators available from the likes of Baseline Marine Products at Fareham 01489 576349. They have a website but it has a poor search function. The 55 x 55 shell ventilator is product 0231priced at £1.40 each in marine grade stainless. If you want larger you will have to dig deeper, the larger yacht builders will have larger vents but these will be more expensive and more difficult to locate. Most marine chandlers will have the likes of the Baseline product.
Regards Peter
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

Robin, I needed something similar for one of my Healey restorations as a fresh air scoop on the scuttle in front of the screen. I could find nothing available ready-made, and definitely didn't want stainless (why is everything made in stainless these days? Mini bumpers look horrible in it).
I ended up making a wooden former and hammering it out of the ally myself. I gave it a nice wired edge with a bit of galvanized wire and it was a) very cheap b) not dependent on how many goes it took and c) exactly what I wanted. Failing that, it shouldn't be too expensive to get something done by a local ally craftsman to a drawing.

Roger
Old Boy Racer

Post by Old Boy Racer »

Boats - why didn't I think of that instead of searching automotive. Doh. Just used chandler to buy some marine grease as well so should have known. Lovely bit in club tech manual for Railton that says on no account use grease marked suitable for water pumps on the water pump because it wrecks it in no time at all. Morris K99 marine grease as used on prop bearings is needed. A lot to learn such as the wet clutch running in a 50-50 mix of paraffin and castor oil. No worries about an oil pressure gauge either since it is splash feed at zero oil pressure. Thanks chaps.

Robin
Old Boy Racer

Post by Old Boy Racer »

Thanks chaps - got exactly what I needed.
Robin