Hawk 289 parts

For Sale and Wanted Section
Hamy-hoo
T289R Member
T289R Member

Hawk 289 parts

Post by Hamy-hoo »

Hi All,
Does anyone have any 'spare' Hawk 289 parts they want to sell or indeed parts necessary for a Hawk 289?
I finally bit the bullet last week and bought a '66 Mustang 289 engine (waiting delivery, will require rebuild) so I'm keen to start accumulating as many bits and pieces as I can prior to committing to the chassis, body etc from Hawk.
Thanks
Hamish
clive
T289R Member
T289R Member

Re: Hawk 289 parts

Post by clive »

Hi Hamish,

Sorry I can't help with any parts as there is very little 'waste' when building a Hawk. One thing to mention though, is get as much info and proof of age as you can for the date of your engine as it appears that the powers at be are getting really strict about this for emissions.

Clive.

PS Are you based north of the border, or am I assuming too much from your name?
Cheers, Clive.

(If I'm not here I'm in my workshop or on the golf course!)
Hamy-hoo
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by Hamy-hoo »

Thanks Clive.
The block is clearly date coded so I’d assume that should suffice!?
I’m actually a kiwi, living in london for the past 15 years but looking forward to moving to Bristol in August.
Can you recommend any good engineering firms that could help with the engine rebuild near Bristol?
Cheers
clive
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by clive »

Well I guess for someone with a Scottish name you couldn't come from further afield!

I'm afraid I can't help with any engineering firms in the Bristol area as I'm about 500 miles away, although I would expect someone else might be able to help.
Cheers, Clive.

(If I'm not here I'm in my workshop or on the golf course!)
StewbieC
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by StewbieC »

Lead time for a Hawk is currently 15 months so I would invest a grand in getting your name on the list as it may get longer yet. Things you really need to look for are Donor bits which take some time to overhaul. Are you looking at MGB front and back or Jag back end?
If you find a rusty MGB it can take some time to strip, you may even be able to sell the bits you don't need and earn a pretty packet to fund some purchases.
From the donor you need; front uprights (irrespective of which way you go (MG or tubular wishbone)), handbrake lever which you chop in for a nice shiney original type from Gerry, steering rack which Gerry shortens and resplines in the cost of the kit. MGB wire wheel axle (if you are going that way and want wire wheels) they are getting quite scarce now and command a pretty penny, Jag IRS with the diff ratio you want, (depends on gearbox type you are going for), MGB front suspension (if you are going that way).
You can also use the bonnet stay for the boot stay, but the rusty ones off the MGB look shite on a nice new Hawk. In fact you probably find you'll want to go new with most other bits.

I've got one of Gerrys header tanks with the mounting braket. Make me a decent offer and I might part with it. I've also got a donor MG and the bits you need again I wasn't planning on selling them and certainly not going to give them away. Also got some exhaust bits that would need cleaning up. I was thinking of building another Hawk, hence the reason for having them.
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by Hamy-hoo »

Hi Stu,

Thanks for all the help and advice.

I visited Gerry yesterday and am now even more committed than before to doing this.

I'd like to build something that has a period patina, so not old and rusty, but not so shiny as to look bling or just 'wrong'.

I'd be interested to know what you want for the donor MGB and the header and mounting tank (is it the old style black one, not a polished stainless one?).

Not having placed the order with Gerry yet and with a house move to contend with first, I'm not in a hurry. It's more a case of just trying to accumulate and get my ducks in a row.

Thanks

Hamish
StewbieC
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by StewbieC »

Replied by PM
RUT220G

Post by RUT220G »

Hi Hamish,
Over the years I've collected a few spare parts that are in my garage. If you are still looking for bits and pieces send me your email and I'll check to see what I have. I'll send you a list of you are still looking.
Allan Tunstall
stu60
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by stu60 »

Hi Hamish
not sure if youve seen these on ebay. no idea at their providence
rgds Stuart

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hawk-ace-or- ... :rk:9:pf:0
Hamy-hoo
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by Hamy-hoo »

Thanks for the heads up Stuart.

I’ve contactex the seller, so let’s see where it goes.

Any more leads the. Please fire them my way.

Cheers

Hamish