emblems / paint

For Sale and Wanted Section
Jerryedmans
T289R Member
T289R Member

emblems / paint

Post by Jerryedmans »

Wondering if anyone has for dale or can point me in the right direction to find some emblems to complete my newly registered Hawk 289 build. Looking for AC boot badge, bonnet badge (I assume a cobra but if that's not original then happy to take advice) and then the correct badges to go along side the side vents (am not sure if this should be "powered by Ford" or something else).

Grateful for any guidance so I can get holes drilled for fitting before I send car to be painted.

With regards to painting I think I will be going for guardsman blue. I can find lots of info on historic colour charts, but when it comes time to employing a body shop to paint the car, are they able to order the original, or do they need to find a modern day paint to match - and if so is there one that is considered closest match? Gerry H mentioned there is a VW colour that is close match. I've had a look and can find Pacific Blue and Silk Blue which may be in the right area, but really want to get this right as it is such a large expense. I have also considered Princess / Viking Blue but the pictures I find on the web give quite a degree of colour variation for this so if there is a modern day equivalent that I can look at that will help me nail this one down I'd also be grateful. Thanks for any help that can be given.
clive
T289R Member
T289R Member

Re: emblems / paint

Post by clive »

I bought my emblems from Finishline in the States. http://www.finishlineaccessories.com/c-37-emblems.aspx
Cheers, Clive.

(If I'm not here I'm in my workshop or on the golf course!)
StewbieC
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by StewbieC »

Hi Jerry,
Talk to Gerry first about badges as he should be able to point you in the right direction. It's very difficult to find AC script badges in the UK as there are plenty of legal reasons. UK AC Cobras had AC script badges on the boot and Cobra badges on the front. Which year they were built depends on which badges you had fitted. Cobra powered by Ford were mostly used on the front wings. US cars had Cobra badges front and back.
As you are midlands ish based talk to PF Autos (Stoke) and Nigel Pittard "agnoran" on here about paint to at least get a price and opinion. PF have painted loads of Cobras, some Hawks and plenty of Dax's they will offer advice on guardsman Blue. Ask for Paul.
My recommendation would also be to buy some of the Cobra books to see as many cars in paint before you commit. It all depends if you have a Slabsider, FIA, whether you want something original or just your own take.
Main thing is consider all the advice and then make your own decision as its your car. Colour / badges fit what you want ;)
All the best
Stu
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by Frank289 »

I might be wrong but i thought in Nl. they used a Audi color as guardsman blue?
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

Hi Jerry,
I believe Gardsman Blue was used on later 427 shape ‘65 cars but as Stewbie says it’s your car so you can have what ever you like. If you want to try to be authentic then look up what AC colours were used on the web. Again it’s dependant on year and car body shape.
Viking blue was used as a team colour in ‘64.
I’m sure Nige can advise but I would tend to find the closest match from a modern selection.
My paint shop used GM USA Atlantic Blue which is a shade darker than Viking Blue but lighter than Gardsman.
Peter C
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

Looking on the web for 1964 AC paint colours throws up the following.
Princess Blue.
Guardsman Blue.
Sky Blue.
Dark Blue.
On a paint code web site they suggest that Princess Blue is dark yet discussions on the Cobra forum under the same subject suggests that Princess Blue is paler than Viking Blue which I think is correct. Remember that Viking Blue was mixed specially for the Shelby Racing Team in ‘64 and not a general AC factory colour.
Happy hunting.
Peter C
Last edited by peterc on Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
amulheirn
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by amulheirn »

For emblems, get in touch with Migge. You can look him up on the members database.
Jerryedmans
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by Jerryedmans »

Many thanks all for help!
agnoraan

Post by agnoraan »

Hi Jerry, I can supply you with a "spray out" panel for both Viking and Princess blue as I have the formula for mixing these colours. Princess blue is an AC colour and is lighter than Viking blue. Viking is lighter than Guardsman blue. As Peter says, Viking was used by Shelby on his race cars using a Ford America colour, as he was unable to match AC's Princess blue.

I'm also able to do the body and paint up to concours standards on your car should you wish. I've recently completed the body restoration on a 944 Porsche which won "Best 944", and "Best in Show" overall at a national Porsche concourse competition. I can supply photos of that and other cars that have been through the workshops should you wish.
I've responded to your PM
Cheers Nige
289 Mk111

Post by 289 Mk111 »

Hi Jerry
Colours are very hard, Just had mine painted Guardsman Blue by Option 1 in Birmingham - incredible Job by Frank and the team.

from my experience
remember they did not have Colour matching in the 60s so there are many shades of the same colour
you may not be using Cellulose paint, which changes the gloss level - mine is so shiny :D
your paint will be new not 50+years old with polishing marks in it and fading due to UV light
pictures on the internet vary greatly as light level and cameras will change the colour of the pictures taken
Plaques are not to the same gloss level so the colour changes slightly.

(Not good with posting pics), but there are many posts showing the original Cobra colour chart which states a code of P151-R827
there is also the official Ford mustang 1965 colour, that to me looks the same as the Cobra colour and was used on the Shelby Mustang - may be for a very good reason ????.

Hope that helps a little
Steve.