Ford V8 engine wanted!

For Sale and Wanted Section
mnicholson
T289R Member
T289R Member

Ford V8 engine wanted!

Post by mnicholson »

Hello all

About to embark on a Hawk 289 build with my son but we're currently space constrained at home and so are seeking an engine to play with first. Ideally looking for a working short-block Ford V8 (289 or 302 providing it's pre '74) that needs a bit of love, but due to their apparent scarcity am also contemplating buying a short (or long) engine and then the remaining parts separately.

Would love to hear about any engines for sale (or even rumours of engines for sale that I can try and track down...) and always happy to take advice on best approach from those more knowledgable than myself!

Thanks all
Matt
amulheirn
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Re: Ford V8 engine wanted!

Post by amulheirn »

Hiya Matt - I got a Ford 302 with a 1986 date of manufacture and passed IVA emissions without any trouble. I think the blocks to steer clear of are 1992 onwards because they would have the most stringent emissions tests applied to them. I had a Holley carb and standard Hawk exhausts - took it to a local garage for a tune-up prior to IVA to make sure the hydrocarbons and CO emissions were within spec, and it sailed through the test on that front.

A place to keep an eye on for such engines might be www.rodsnsods.co.uk or the american classic car mags. That said, I bought my block off ebay for £350.

Cheers,
Andy
mnicholson
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by mnicholson »

Thanks Andy
amulheirn
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by amulheirn »

A rather grubby-looking engine is on ebay here: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ford-302-V8- ... :rk:1:pf:0

At first glance it looks set up for mechanical fuel pump and has hydraulic lifters. E0 casting means an early 80's block. 2-bolt main caps at the bottom end, so nothing special. The mangled dipstick is on the side of the block - to fit round Gerry's headers you may want to plug that hole and move it to the timing cover. (I had to make this change - plugged the old hole, drilled a new one in the timing cover. Did a load of measuring to make sure the new dipstick read correctly!)

Looks like there's a busted bolt where the timing cover attaches, and some core plugs that need sorting, but you'd do that anyway if you had it dipped I guess. I don't see any holes where the 'spider' would be screwed-down in the valley, so I am guessing this is a solid tappet block, rather than roller.

Not that you would necessarily want this one, but I think these are the guys that occasionally advertise batches of 302 engines they import from the US. Towards the bottom of their advert are the contact details in Essex, so maybe give them a ring.

Looking at that eBay advert makes me want to do another engine rebuild!
clive
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by clive »

My main concern about buying an engine online, would be whether or not it has been re-bored. If it has been, and is more than 30 thou, I would give it a miss as you would probably want to re-bore anyway. As far as the dipstick is concerned I didn't have any issues with the headers getting in the way, although I did have to replace the original with a curved one from Real Steel.

Cheers, Clive.

(If I'm not here I'm in my workshop or on the golf course!)
KevinW
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by KevinW »

RealSteel do turnkeys as well as imported blocks for rebuild.
agnoraan

Post by agnoraan »

If possible try to get an engine that was manufactured pre 1975. For the mot it's tested as "visual smoke" only and doesn't require an emissions test. Any other later engines would have to meet the emissions standards set at the date of their manufacture.
Nige
mnicholson
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by mnicholson »

Thanks all and sorry for slow response, have been away this week for half term! Good advice and I think I’m probably a little scared to buy one from the internet. Think a call to Real Steel is the next step, but forgive my ignorance, would they be able to provide a pre-1975 engine?
KevinW
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by KevinW »

Looks like they only have Chevy old blocks at the moment. The list does change from time to time. You would be best giving them a call.
http://www.realsteel.co.uk/usedengines.pdf
agnoraan

Post by agnoraan »

Real steel don't generally sell early blocks as they're hard to come by. I spoke to them about this a while ago and they said it would be unlikely for them to get one
Nige