Big block Cobra for sale

For Sale and Wanted Section
Marsh

Big block Cobra for sale

Post by Marsh »

Dear all,

I promise that I sought the appropriate permission before I posted this ad...

After much deliberation, I have decided to place my ahem, 427 up for sale. I'm sharing it here as I know the audience is both intelligent and appreciative of period correct cars.

It is a tool-room recreation of CSX3109, 1 of just 260 ‘Street specification Cobras built between Summer 1965 and December 1966.

Starting with an all aluminium, dimensionally correct 427 S/C constructed by Cobra Guru David Brookes, then reverse-engineered where necessary and obsessively detailed using authentic 'Street specification parts, resulting in an exceptionally period-accurate car, following a decade of exhaustive research.

If you like your Cobra's with stripes, side pipes and chrome roll hoops, this won't be for you; this is an understated, period-correct 'Street car you'd see parked on the King's Road in the late 60's, or road-stained in the paddock at the BOAC 1000 at Brands. In more recent times, this big block Cobra has graced the Revival, Members Meeting, Bicester Scramble, in the paddock and up the hill at Shelsley, always garnering attention from those who appreciate 'proper' cars.

Left hand drive, as original and powered by a 580 bhp Southern Automotive 427 cubic inch side oiler, mated to a period 4 speed Toploader 'box and fitted with factory-correct underslung exhausts. Early 'Wide hip' body, painted Raven Black by Max Cawthorn in 2018, with Connolly hide, double duck tonneau with perspex wind wings and green tinted sun visors.

Kelsey Hayes Sunburst pin drive wheels, lock wired Shelby American spinners, with narrow 225/15 Avon CR6ZZ's. Comes with a spare set of Halibrand Cobra 11's finished in satin black.

Correctly located 'Ceeandess' NOS fuel filler, front splitter with bright trim, non-scoop bonnet, front & rear bumperettes, Lucas L542 rear lights with integrated LED’s for safe night time driving. Factory correct dressed down engine bay, featuring pent roof valve covers, FoMoCo stock air cleaner, NOS 1965 dated twin Lucas horns and an ultra rare square Trico washer bottle.

'Street spec interior featuring correct Smiths instruments, leatherette door panels, Naugahyde rear deck, Ray Brown ‘Impact’ 4 point seat belts dated June 1965, boot mounted Lucas battery, opening glove box and ashtray; finished off with an original Guy Salmon AC supplying dealer plate.

Correctly registered as newly constructed in 2017, so no risk of future DVLA issues due to cloudy origins like so many Cobra's in circulation, but wears a 1965 Surrey originating registration number, as per an AC factory supplied car, using period-correct NOS ACE cast aluminium 3 1/8 peaked digits, an example of the mind boggling attention to detail invested throughout.

It's covered 3500 trouble free miles since 2017, with much time and expense invested getting it just right.  Absolutely on the button and ready to drive anywhere. Religiously maintained by RH Classics and freshly serviced.

Extremely well sorted and drives as you'd hope; 4 second 0-60 but is entirely docile and surprisingly civilised until you bury the accelerator, when all hell breaks loose. Handles beautifully thanks to correct tubular chassis, rose jointed suspension and lightweight aluminium block. Also fitted with a thermostatic controlled fan and auxiliary oil cooler.

Presents immaculately, but nicely settled, displaying just the right degree of patina. It's very much a car to drive and enjoy rather than a pampered trailer queen!

Be under no illusion, this remains a race car for the road and is not for the faint-hearted; it's loud, grumpy on hot days and when it rains, you'll be amazed by the variety of ways that water enters the cabin, but you'll be laughing out loud as every mile travelled is life affirming!

Cobra's in 'Street trim are largely unseen in the UK and this is the only example currently for sale in Europe. It is priced at £125,995, which is reflective of the quality, condition and specification of the car; at the asking price, I'm covering my costs invested and had I placed it with an appropriately prestigious dealer, who knows what that asking price rise to...

If you're looking to acquire an exceptionally period-authentic Cobra without the 7 figure outlay, this is the only big block 'Street Cobra openly for sale in Europe and represents a unique opportunity. A genuine benchmark example - and my food friend Roger seems to like it too...

I'm embarking on a new project; so no part exchanges or silly offers please. If you're interested to learn more, please get in touch. You can reach me by email at lamarshall@hotmail.co.uk or 07840 375195.

best regards to all

Lee Marshall
Last edited by Marsh on Wed Aug 05, 2020 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
simonjrwinter

Re: Big block Cobra for sale

Post by simonjrwinter »

Ooooh, if only I had the money....sounds like everything it should be 👍
TR6 (V8) Hawk 289 FIA (V8) Doing my bit for global warming.
Marsh

Post by Marsh »

Thanks Simon, that's very kind!

I'd agonised for some time about putting it on here, given the predominantly 289 focused audience, but on balance I'm glad I have.

Let's see what happens...

If if does sell, it will be pretty much irreplaceable.

Lee
nikbj68
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by nikbj68 »

This is one of the very few non-289 Cobras I really like. Epic attention to detail. 8)

But there is no space in the 2-car garage... :wink:
Hawk 289 FiA...AT LAST!!!
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

Hi Lee, I can remember discussions on what was correct or not for your standard road version of a 427.
I do hope you can get your price bearing in mind the chaotic situation at present.
Can we ask what the new project is?
Peter C
Marsh

Post by Marsh »

Peter

Lovely to hear from you; it's been too long!

Truth be told, I'm rather torn, as the Cobra has been a big part of my life for a while now and it will be very difficult to replace.

I've chanced upon a Frazer Nash Le Mans Replica, which has always been a passion of mine and should I be successful in divesting myself of the Cobra, then I'll be investing in that.

In terms of pricing, I'm in completely uncharted territory here, as the car is pretty much unique. If someone wants a Street car, then they can have mine, or spend perhaps 5 or 6 times more on an original and that's about it. I had spoken to a southern based dealer of historic cars and they suggested quite a bit more than the figure it's now being marketed at, but I want to be realistic and have pitched it based on what I've invested. On that basis, I'm pretty firm.

Ultimately, if the Cobra doesn't sell, then that's a first world issue, isn't it?

Best regards

Lee