Selling Hawk 289

For Sale and Wanted Section
nickguy

Selling Hawk 289

Post by nickguy »

I am reluctantly looking to sell my Hawk 289 which I built in 2000. I would obviously welcome any interest from potential buyers through this site but was also wondering if anyone can share any experiences with auction sites, good or bad, please.

In brief: She has around 15k miles on her, fitted with a really great 3.9 Rover V8 which was built by Progress Engineering with lightened flywheel and stage 2 heads. The running gear is MGB so lots of fun to drive. She is registered on a 1971 (J) plate and has historic vehicle status. Finished in a gorgeous deep (almost racing) green with a hint of metallic. Chrome wire wheels, leather trim and seats, Smiths instruments, wood rim Moto-lita wheel. The front end, suspension, brakes and steering parts have all been recently overhauled and refitted with new bushes. The powder coating on the chassis has started to flake off and needs attention so the price will reflect this but otherwise its a solid car which looks stunning and sounds amazing.
If anyone would like full details and photos of the car then please PM me. Thanks.
Britishracingreen

Re: Selling Hawk 289

Post by Britishracingreen »

Nick,

PM sent thank you
brookewebb

Post by brookewebb »

Pm Sent but it seems to be just sitting in my outbox! Plz Pm me so I can reply.
phlip

Post by phlip »

Any chance of a photo and a price??

I'm a non-member so can't pm you!

I'm intending to join of course - just need to get the garage sorted.
In the meantime I'm trying to get an idea of what I'd have to budget if I don't build my own.

Phil.
amulheirn
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by amulheirn »

brookewebb wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 7:42 pm Pm Sent but it seems to be just sitting in my outbox! Plz Pm me so I can reply.
Hi - yes, the PM stays in your outbox until the recipient reads it (a bit strange I know - its just how the forum software seems to work).
brookewebb

Post by brookewebb »

Looks like a post and run then.
kempo123
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by kempo123 »

Hi I have just joined the club and am interested in buying a built car if it still for sale can you send some pictures and price and spec
Regards
Richard
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

Phil, suggest you look on the web for the array of prices anticipated for Cobra replicas.
You need to decide what your requirements/wishes are. The Mk 2 with slab sides, FIA based on the Mk2 but with small extended arches or the full blown Mk3 - 427 with bulbous arches.
Then there is the decision of alloy or fibreglass body. Commercial prices for an alloy car are probably £50k - £75k more than for a fibreglass version to reflect the cost of the hand made aspect of forming the aluminium.
Generally speaking the more authentic the car build the higher the price.
E.g. Ford engine versus Rover. A genuine Ford 289 would probably trump other engines.
There appears to be more interest in Hawk based Cobras possibly due to their more authentic look but then I am biased as I own a Hawk.
I would suggest £30k + for home build and £40k+ for a fully built car but then it depends if it is a private sale or commercial.
The commercial sale obviously comes with some form of guarantee so they need to build that into their price to reflect the risk.
Hope that gives you some form of guide. Prices do seem to be regularly on the rise to reflect the cost of a newly built car.
Of course the value of any item is down to the person wanting to buy and what they think it’s worth.
Peter C
nickguy

Post by nickguy »

Hi Richard (Kempo123) and Phil, just wanted to check you got my PM's I sent you as they still appear to be sitting in my outbox here. Thanks.
All the best.
Nick
phlip

Post by phlip »

Hi Nick, nothing has shown up at my end I'm afraid.
Phil.