Donor MGB and Rover V8 Engine/Gearbox for sale.

For Sale and Wanted Section
bevan
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Donor MGB and Rover V8 Engine/Gearbox for sale.

Post by bevan »

My local garage proprietor has the following major items for sale. Ideal for anyone intending to build a Hawk 289.
1967 MGB Roadster complete rolling shell, together with spare wire wheel axle.
Rover V8 3.5 litre engine complete with LT77 gearbox and Weber 4 barrel carburettor.

For more information speak to Michael Cleverley on 01379 384046 or email michael@mx5expert.com

Michael has previously owned a Hawk Cobra and is very knowledgeable on matters technical. His garage is based near Eye in Suffolk.
agnoraan

Re: Donor MGB and Rover V8 Engine/Gearbox for sale.

Post by agnoraan »

You might need to be careful with this.
When a car that is in the historic class changes hands, the DVLA can send out a company called SGS to inspect the car BEFORE they will issue the new owner with a V5c. The car has to be already on the road or almost roadworthy, ie a complete car requiring very minor work to gain an mot, before they will issue the V5c. If SGS believe the car does not meet that criteria, a V5c will not be issued. It's just the luck of the draw as to whether the car will need to be inspected. I know of a few people, who have bought a "bitsa" car as a donor, only to find they cant get it registered. The aim behind this is to ensure that vehicles identities are not being cloned, and that the vehicle in question is what it purports to be.
Nige
bevan
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by bevan »

The MGB for sale above is a complete car, engine still present, and not a box of bits. Michael the owner was originally thinking of restoring it. I cannot see any reason for the DVLA to refuse a change of ownership on the V5. Even if DVLA were to inspect they cannot but be satisfied with what they see. To obtain an age related plate on any kit car, one must have the donor vehicle. If the statements made in the last post were true then that would make life very difficult for anyone wishing to purchase a vehicle as a restoration project let alone a donor. The concerns of the DVLA are mostly where cloning is involved and attempts to claim a vehicle is historic when it is not ie newly built. That is not the case here.

I posted this advertisement for the benefit of any member looking to build a Cobra as it offers almost all that anyone would need bar the kit. I would not have done so if there was any doubt on DVLA registration regarding change of ownership on the MGB.
agnoraan

Post by agnoraan »

The rules are being tightened. I know of a number of people that have been caught out recently buying an unroadworthy donor vehicle, and were not issued a V5c from DVLA. If the car is not almost roadworthy ie it has to be complete, and almost ready to mot, they will not issue a V5c until that vehicle IS roadworthy and fit for an MOT. Incidentally, the contract with SGS to inspect vehicles has recently been cancelled and a new company called "Davies Group/insurance engineers" now has that contract. As the name implies they are predominantly insurance engineers and as such really know what they're looking at. They are now inspecting more cars than SGS did, as Davies' has the manpower and capacity to do that.
I'm just trying to make people aware of what is happening