Opinions please

For Sale and Wanted Section
brookewebb

Opinions please

Post by brookewebb »

What do you guys who know about these things think about this car being offered for sale. I suspect the incorrect registration details and old logbook are a problem!

Thanks in advance for your considered thoughts!
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Re: Opinions please

Post by peterc »

They have been honest enough to advise that the car is registered as a Ford Corsair convertible which as it’s a BRA is clearly incorrect.
Therefore I believe it will need to be put though the IVA test and then registered correctly as a BRA.
There was a window of opportunity to correctly register those cars that were registered incorrectly but that closed some time ago.
It is possible that it will now end up with a Q plate after re registering as it sounds like you could have difficulty proving the parts it has now were from a single donor. Is there any photographic evidence of the original Ford Corsair that would help?
It’s very likely it has many useful aspects e.g. the Ford 289 engine however it will also need a fair bit of work done to bring it up to meet the latest IVA rules.
If you think the purchase price plus cost of updating and re registering correctly would still be less then what it’s worth correctly registered then it’s a bargain.
I am sure another member will correct me if I have misread the situation.
Peter C
KevinW
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by KevinW »

To 'Q' or not to 'Q', that is the question.
As Peter says, if it needs an IVA test and documentation is incomplete then it may get a 'Q', which means no personalised plates allowed, and a de-valued car. Getting it through IVA will be hassle, but not impossible. The 'Q' thing is the biggest issue as far as I can see.
StewbieC
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by StewbieC »

It's probably going to cost more to get it right than it would be worth.
I'd say it would be better suited to be exported.
JMHO

Post by cobraboy »

That does not look like a BRA body.
brookewebb

Post by brookewebb »

I think given all the issues (including being a non runner) I’ll steer well clear. Thanks for your input folks.
DavidA
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by DavidA »

Interesting car - I think it probably is a BRA mk 2 from the under bonnet shot. However it is heavily modified with a new air intake below the grill, all evidence of square section tubing removed from the body, a novel flat petrol tank to give a deeper boot, and the bonnet scoop removed. Probably lots of other modifications to fit the Ford engine. The Corsair registration is a real mystery.
Best Wishes
Migge

Post by Migge »

It's for sure a BRA with hefty modifications.

You can see it with the rear pic. The cockpit edge , when not modificated is, beside many other body sections, on the left side always higher, The right cockpit edge is very flat. The whole right body side is totally different to the left side. Not a little bit as usual with kit cars and Cobras. To make it a bit more symetrical many hours of work and a lot of laminating is necessary.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Special customized BRA289