BRA 289 and IVA

General Cobra & Ace topics
Tim Curtis
T289R Member
T289R Member

BRA 289 and IVA

Post by Tim Curtis »

is it worth still finishing my BRA 289 with no Iva or will a finished car still be difficult to keep on the road with IVA rules, will the car have to keep the bad bits you need for the IVA?
agnoraan

Re: BRA 289 and IVA

Post by agnoraan »

How did you intend to register it? All kit cars should be IVA tested to be registered and road legal. The government are really clamping down on cars with spurious registrations now. If caught "cloning" a cars identity, which effectively makes the car a "ringer", you run the risk of losing the cars V5 registration details and sent directly for a BIVA test.
Once through IVA people do tend to "personalise" their cars to suit them 😉
Nige
StewbieC
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by StewbieC »

Hi Tim,
Welcome to the club!
Post IVA the car needs to pass an MOT each year, if that is any help :wink: .
Cheers
Stu
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by Tim Curtis »

Thanks very much for the advice.
My first task is to see how much of what I have is usable and what else I will need.
My aim is to have a classic looking 289 Cobra
I also have problems that I have a rolling chassis with rebuilt Rover V8 that I can't fully read the engine no. and therefore can't identify the age.
StewbieC
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by StewbieC »

Sometimes taking a picture on a phone makes it easier to read the number. I've got a grey Fergie tractor and when I registered it, the only way I could decipher the serial number was from a photo.
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by Tim Curtis »

Did that and still think there’s a letter or number that didn’t get stamped properly.
simonjrwinter

Post by simonjrwinter »

Many years ago I inadvertently bought a BMW motorcycle that upon closer inspection I suspected had been stolen. The engine number had been filed off but I called the police in and they used a fluid that revealed the number. Maybe this is available commercially?
Simon
TR6 (V8) Hawk 289 FIA (V8) Doing my bit for global warming.
agnoraan

Post by agnoraan »

Tim, the engine number and details have to be checked by one of the BIVA test approved engine verifiyers. They physically have to see the engine to do this. I believe that Real Steel are on the accepted list. I would speak to them and ask advice.
Nige
simonjrwinter

Post by simonjrwinter »

Sorry, that’s not the case.
I sent my engine number to British motor heritage and they provided me ( for a fee) with a certificate stating the date of manufacture of my engine. This was perfectly acceptable to the IVA tester as proof of engine age.
Simon
TR6 (V8) Hawk 289 FIA (V8) Doing my bit for global warming.
agnoraan

Post by agnoraan »

Sorry, but the British Motor Heritage should not be doing that. They are not following DVSA's guidelines to verifying engines. The whole point of this is to stop people falsifying an engines age. Anyone that has a late model engine (post 1974) could give BMH the engine number for an early engine and that engine subsequently wouldn't have to pass any emissions test, as pre '74 engines are visual smoke tests only.

The whole idea of the engine being inspected is to date it correctly and as such, a visual assessment must be made, be it in person, by taking the engine to one of the DVSA accepted verifiers, or as one person on the list requests that they have photos of the car, with the engine in it, along with photos of the engine number being clearly visible. They have to see the engine, not just be given the engine numbers. The main reasoning behind this is that, in the case of some Chevy crate engines, Chevrolet cast late model engines, but they have been cast with early pre '73 block engine details, meaning you could get late engines through the MOT with a visual smoke test only, instead of having to run catalytic converters etc. A lot of the 427 brigade running Chevys were doing this. DVSA became aware of this and have subsequently closed that loop hole, to stop the "Cobra boys passing 'new' engines off as 'old" ones, hence them requesting that the DVSA verifiers see the engines, before giving a certificate of age.
Nige
Last edited by agnoraan on Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.