BRA 289

General Cobra & Ace topics
NDS

BRA 289

Post by NDS »

HI , New to the forum. Build a BRA 289 over 25 years ago just purchased it back. It was never SVA ed at the time of completion. Its registered as a MG V8 3.9 Litre The question is it worth testing to the new IVA test. The two other options would be to re-shell into a Hawk or break up for spares.

Appreciate the feed back.

Neil
Frank289
T289R Member
T289R Member

Re: BRA 289

Post by Frank289 »

I dont know the Uk marcket but i Europ BRA's get easely sold for 22K euro in normal condition with papers?
StewbieC
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by StewbieC »

As Frank says, sell it to someone on the continent and build a Hawk. Getting an old car through IVA would be really tough. I know it's probably not what you want to hear owing to the sentimental connection. It would be a real shame to break it for spares and personally I don't see the point in trying to turn it into a Hawk. It would probably be more cost effective to sell it on and build a Hawk.
Migge

Post by Migge »

If will be nearly impossible to get it registrated when the papers tell MG.
Special customized BRA289
simonjrwinter

Post by simonjrwinter »

Has it been on the road registered as an MGB? If so, what do the mot’s describe it as?
Simon
TR6 (V8) Hawk 289 FIA (V8) Doing my bit for global warming.
clive
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by clive »

Hi Neil, and welcome to the forum.

Having read your introduction several factors need to be considered. Firstly as you know the car because you built it some 25 years ago, it wouldn't have required an SVA as it wasn't introduced until July 1998. Back in those glory days quite a few builders didn't bother to re-register their kits and just kept the original make and registration number details on the V5C which is what I assume you did. After 1998 when you built a kit car you were required to pass an SVA test and also notify DVLA to re register it as to what the car now was, eg. BRA289, which it would appear hasn't happened in your case.

A good few years ago, there was an amnesty with DVLA whereby you could notify them of the change of details on the V5C so it would comply with the regulations. It would appear that you, or the owner of the car at that time, failed to do so as the car is still registered as a MG. This is a pity as it now throws up some concerns. As the car is now, it is neither an MG or a BRA as far as the DVLA are concerned, and it falls between two stools. If you don't change the details with DVLA you could run into problems when you MOT the car as it is the responsibility of the tester to ensure that the car is as it claims on the DVLA database, not to mention the fact that it is no longer an MG. If you decide to change the details with DVLA, then you will need to pass an IVA test before doing so and it is a harder test to pass than the SVA that proceeded it, and will, I'm sure be an expensive exercise and might well result in a "Q" plate being issued.

If the amnesty period was when you didn't own the car, there might be an extremely slim chance that DVLA would look on it as a special case because of your history with the car, but I wouldn't hold my breath!

Back in the early 2000s there was a guy called Paul Jepson who was an expert when it came to registering kit cars as he had over 14 years experience with DVLA dealing with the registration of kit cars. I don't know if he is still involved but it might be worth a try. His email then was pauljepson@kitcarreg.com or tel 01148 9842303 07748 702987.

Good luck!
Cheers, Clive.

(If I'm not here I'm in my workshop or on the golf course!)
simonjrwinter

Post by simonjrwinter »

Neil,
I have had some luck with the DVLA in the past few years. I’ve managed to get three incorrectly registered cars, registered as what they are. It can be done. Be truthful and honest in your application, don’t try and pull the wool over their eyes, they’ve been there before. A genuine case should be looked upon favourably.
PM me if I can help.
Simon
TR6 (V8) Hawk 289 FIA (V8) Doing my bit for global warming.
Frank289
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by Frank289 »

Hi Niel, wenn u sell it here on the continent, be honnest to because u really can get into legal trouble wenn u dot sell it honnest, i was thinking? just a thought. there was a few months ago a Cobra MG for sale on Internet. might that be yours?
NDS

Post by NDS »

The BRA has not seen the light of day for 25years . Never been advertised for sale. Pick it up in a weeks time will post some photos.
Neil
David Large

Post by David Large »

I took my MG registered BRA during the amnesty period in the nineties and the DVLA wrote to me to tell me it is a 1963 MG Mk2 Cobra, which is what is says on the V5 and the MOT certificate.
David