MGB Donor Car

General Cobra & Ace topics
willsie01

MGB Donor Car

Post by willsie01 »

I'm now retired and looking at the possibility of a 289.
An idea at the back of my mind for quite a few years.
Already got a 302 engine and started to look for a donor car so I'd be interested in any ideas for sourcing one and any requirements about what it needs to have.
StewbieC
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Re: MGB Donor Car

Post by StewbieC »

Hi Willsie,
I'm sure we can make the possibility a reality. Sorry for the lengthy response but it is important.
The Hawk 289 can be built with MGB underpinnings. The chassis is built to accept either MGB or Jag IRS at the back, the front end needs to be specified as either MGB standard (using MGB Spring pans and the original Armstrong lever arm shocks) or Gerry's tubular wishbone upgrade with coil over shocks. The chassis is different for the two different types. The switch/ upgrade from MGB to tubular wishbone can be done at a later date if required, there is a small amount of cutting and cosmetic welding if required.
Bits that are needed from a donor car are steering rack from any MGB (they are all the same), wire wheel rear axle (if you want to fit wire wheels, the steel wheel or Rostyle axle is slightly wider), If you are building a Sebring or FIA version and want to use an MGB axle and are fitting Halibrand wheels, you can use a Rostyle axle, front suspension complete, if you wish to use complete MGB or the stub axles at least if you wish to go for the tubular wishbone set up. You can use the front roll bar, you can also use the handbrake lever and part ex this for a discounted correct 289 handbrake lever from Gerry.
Things to note, for the IVA test you will need a certificate of age for your 302 engine, if it is pre 1974, then the emmisons requirements are easy namely visible smoke, if newer than 74, things get a little trickier (but not impossible). When it comes to registration you need to have used at least 2 major components from a donor vehicle, steering counts as one, axles (both rear and front stub axles) count as one, front suspension complete counts as another. You need to keep receipts for other new parts.
Let me know if you have any further questions.
The Silverstone Classic is at the end of July, we would have 30 cars + from the club in attendance on our display and plenty of people to answer any questions!

Post by willsie01 »

Thanks Stu,

Just the sort of comprehensive info I was hoping for!

1. MGB or Jag IRS: Choosing MGB would seem to make registration easier. In fact how could I comply without using them?
2. Gerry's tubular wishbone upgrade with coil over shocks: I had wanted to go down this route but will it make 1. more difficult?
3. steering rack from any MGB (they are all the same): This counts as a major item for registration?
4. wire wheel rear axle or Rostyle axle...: I like the "traditional" sport car look of wire wheels but also think Alloy wheels suit the car. Could add at this point that I don't think I'm going to be a stickler for 100% authenticity. My aim is to build a great sports car inspired by the original AC 289.
5. if you wish to go for the tubular wishbone set up You can use the front roll bar: I do want the tubular wishbone set up for the better handling.
6. you can also use the handbrake lever and part ex this for a discounted correct 289 handbrake lever from Gerry: This seems straightforward.
7. for the IVA test you will need a certificate of age for your 302 engine...: Hmmm. I don't have paperwork so will serial numbers provide age?
8. When it comes to registration you need to have used at least 2 major components from a donor vehicle: So if I go down the route of Jaguar IRS and uprated tubular wishbones how can I achieve this?
9. You need to keep receipts for other new parts: Is this a registration/IVA issue?
10. Let me know if you have any further questions: Certainly shall. Thanks a bunch.
11. The Silverstone Classic is at the end of July: Been meaning to do this for some years but work kept getting in the way. Now, I'm scheduled for surgery on Tuesday this week (hopefully going to make a new man of me!) and not sure I'll be fit enough by end of July. I'll be under the guidance of the consultant so I'll keep my fingers crossed.
12.$64,000 question: I'm an impatient buyer who gets tempted into overpaying for expediency. What's a realistic budget for a donor car? Is this a straightforward question.

Best Regards,

Willsie
willsie01

Post by willsie01 »

I will try to make the Classics On the Common (Harpenden Common) as I live just a few miles away and may get my son or wife to take me.
I haven't been for a few years.
StewbieC
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by StewbieC »

willsie01 wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2019 4:37 pm Thanks Stu,

Just the sort of comprehensive info I was hoping for!

1. MGB or Jag IRS: Choosing MGB would seem to make registration easier. In fact how could I comply without using them?
2. Gerry's tubular wishbone upgrade with coil over shocks: I had wanted to go down this route but will it make 1. more difficult?
3. steering rack from any MGB (they are all the same): This counts as a major item for registration? ------ yes together with column-----
4. wire wheel rear axle or Rostyle axle...: I like the "traditional" sport car look of wire wheels but also think Alloy wheels suit the car. Could add at this point that I don't think I'm going to be a stickler for 100% authenticity. My aim is to build a great sports car inspired by the original AC 289.
5. if you wish to go for the tubular wishbone set up You can use the front roll bar: I do want the tubular wishbone set up for the better handling. -------- l'd upgrade to a thicker roll bar with the tubular wishbone set up -------
6. you can also use the handbrake lever and part ex this for a discounted correct 289 handbrake lever from Gerry: This seems straightforward.
7. for the IVA test you will need a certificate of age for your 302 engine...: Hmmm. I don't have paperwork so will serial numbers provide age? --------- no, you need confirmation from a reputable supplier -------
8. When it comes to registration you need to have used at least 2 major components from a donor vehicle: So if I go down the route of Jaguar IRS and uprated tubular wishbones how can I achieve this? ------- pretty much impossible nowerdays ------
9. You need to keep receipts for other new parts: Is this a registration/IVA issue? ---- registration ------
10. Let me know if you have any further questions: Certainly shall. Thanks a bunch.
11. The Silverstone Classic is at the end of July: Been meaning to do this for some years but work kept getting in the way. Now, I'm scheduled for surgery on Tuesday this week (hopefully going to make a new man of me!) and not sure I'll be fit enough by end of July. I'll be under the guidance of the consultant so I'll keep my fingers crossed.
12.$64,000 question: I'm an impatient buyer who gets tempted into overpaying for expediency. What's a realistic budget for a donor car? Is this a straightforward question. ------ PM sent --------

Best Regards,

Willsie
nikbj68
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by nikbj68 »

Hawk 289 FiA...AT LAST!!!
amulheirn
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by amulheirn »

I really like that...
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

A nice looking car but I noticed it’s a bit untidy below the steering column.
The auction was on 13th so I wonder what it went for.
Peter C
Colin Newbold

Post by Colin Newbold »

willsie01 wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2019 4:47 pm I will try to make the Classics On the Common (Harpenden Common) as I live just a few miles away and may get my son or wife to take me.
I haven't been for a few years.
Be sure to come find us Willsie...we'll be parked up together...The Bevans in either a grey gelcoat Hawk Cobra, or a metallic ruby red Hawk Ace (maybe both!), the Vearey's in their silver Hawk and Nicky and I in my polished ally Kirkham 289. We'll be there from about 1pm through to 18:30.

Cheers,
Colin
"How you see yourself is all very well, but it's how others see you that will determine the results you get as a leader!"