Hood for a 289 fia

General Cobra & Ace topics
simonjrwinter

Hood for a 289 fia

Post by simonjrwinter »

I’m going to be looking at fitting a mohair hood to my FIA before I get it sprayed.
There are two options as far as I can see, either a Hawk hood with the metal framed side screens (which I already have although not assembled or fitted) or alternatively a hood from Europa with zip in side screens. Prices are broadly similar. I can’t ever see a situation where I would want to use the sidescreens without the hood up and I don’t think I would ever want to have the hood up unless caught in a downpour. Has anyone any experience of the Europa item or zip in vs std sidescreens?
And opinions/ advice appreciated

Simon
TR6 (V8) Hawk 289 FIA (V8) Doing my bit for global warming.
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Re: Hood for a 289 fia

Post by peterc »

Simon,
We often drive with side-screens only which cuts down the noise from other car/ trucks tyres especially on the motorway.
Also helps when the weather is intermittent drizzle/ fine.
I would suggest that zip in side screens would be a pain in the arse when getting in / out of the car when the hood is up although I have not come across that style of set up.
I have an original style hood from Gerry’s supplier at the time and yes it’s not a particularly pleasant drive when erected but heh it’s that or get drenched including the carpets.
The only mod I would suggest as you have an FIA is to try to get the supplier to provide either a zip in rear screen or at least a zip access to the fuel filler. Having to release the hood tension and unclip the off side rear to fill up is a pain and no I wouldn’t contemplate filling up with the nozzle inside the car. Talking of which you need to solder up the vent in the filler cap to prevent fumes inside the car when the hood is up. The tank has its own vent pipe so it’s not an issue.
The front angle on the side-screens needs to match the screen obviously but taking into account whether you will use the Le Mans top again.
Having the proper looking side-screens has got to be the way to go IMHO.
Peter C
simonjrwinter

Post by simonjrwinter »

Thanks Peter, all good advice. I always wear earplugs for motorway driving, the noise/pressure fluctuations is deeply unpleasant. I will however look again at the side screens I have.
Simon
TR6 (V8) Hawk 289 FIA (V8) Doing my bit for global warming.
clive
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by clive »

I would agree with Peter that zip-up sidescreens would be a pain. I have seen these on several cars and they just don't look right. Having once more just driven over 400 miles with my hood fitted I must say it is not an unpleasant experience and the sliding windows are great for controlling ventilation etc. The only drawback is you must remember to push the wind wings out of the way when opening the doors.
Cheers, Clive.

(If I'm not here I'm in my workshop or on the golf course!)
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

Clive, does that mean that you pull them in a bit once you are inside?
I guess it would cut down on the turbulence a bit.
I leave mine as far out as is necessary to open the door with the side screen fitted. Discovered that this means touching the racing mirrors.
Warning the intercom headsets over comes most of the noise issue. Agree with Clive on the adjustment of the ventilation. Just crack open one or both sliding sections a small amount to keep rear window clear.
Peter C
clive
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by clive »

I now leave the wind wings forward. In the past I have folded them back, but kept forgetting when I opened the door and hitting them with the sidescreen. The only problem I have now is that they get dirty from traffic film which in turn makes the mirrors difficult to use, and the low interior mirror isn't much good with the hood up either. In the past I have used Rain-X on the wind wings and mirrors which helps, but this year I forgot.
Cheers, Clive.

(If I'm not here I'm in my workshop or on the golf course!)