New Member - Long time Lurker

General Cobra & Ace topics
289FIA
T289R Member
T289R Member

New Member - Long time Lurker

Post by 289FIA »

Hi Guys,

Just wanted to introduce myself, as a new member on 289 Register. I've known Gerry and Kev Davies from way back and believe I may have met Simon (Winter), at a Cobra Track Day at Elvington, some 16-18 years ago, when I had my Crendon 427SC - No 029.

Thanks to Michael Taylor, I pulled the trigger last Wednesday and ordered a Ace 2.6 from Gerry, and now the wait starts.

Specification will be:

Triumph 2500 Straight 6 Blueprinted Engine with Manual/Overdrive Gearbox
Twin SU Carbs
MGB Salisbury Original Wire Wheel tube Rear Axle
MWS Wire Wheels/Blockley Tyres
Hawk upgraded Front Adjustable Suspension

I am already building up parts, to fit remotely, as I am currently in Dubai at the moment and don't know where, I will be retiring to.

So the car could be either LHD or RHD currently unknown! I have Parts in the UK and in USA so I'm hedging my bets.

Can anyone advise me where I can get authentic gauges to suit the ACE. Particularly, the speedo with clock :?

Will be picking your brains as I go and if anyone has any parts for an ACE build drop me a PM and tell me what you got.

Cheers

David Field (previously Crendonman)
clive
T289R Member
T289R Member

Re: New Member - Long time Lurker

Post by clive »

Good morning David and welcome. I seem to remember the name Crendonman, perhaps from the CRC, but my memory might be playing tricks. I'm glad to see another Ace will be getting built and hopefully you will be able to glean lots of info from here. Keep us posted on your progress.
Cheers, Clive.

(If I'm not here I'm in my workshop or on the golf course!)
StewbieC
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by StewbieC »

Hi David and welcome!
You have access to other members details being a member, you should get in touch with Dave Tilson or Dave Whitty. I'm sure Dave Tilson has an Ace speedo possibly for sale. He is a great guy and really helpful. He has a lovely Silver Ace that was exhibited at the NEC last year and will be on the front of a copy of the back issue magazine that will be on its way to you for signing up. Dave Whitty also has a lovely grey Ace christened Miss Elle and has been featured in quite a few magazines. He's a brilliant electronics engineer and has made an electronic system for the horn push mounted indicator switch that Aces had on the steering wheel. Dave Tilson also has this system installed. Dave Tilson may have access to correct badges too.
Fire away with any questions, the only dumb question is the one you don't ask that ends up causing you a problem or costing you money.
All the best
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by 289FIA »

clive wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 11:36 am Good morning David and welcome. I seem to remember the name Crendonman, perhaps from the CRC, but my memory might be playing tricks. I'm glad to see another Ace will be getting built and hopefully you will be able to glean lots of info from here. Keep us posted on your progress.
Thanks for the welcome Clive, yep you are correct I was on CRC from 2000 - 2006, until I moved to Dubai. Still occasionally pop in there even now! :wink:
kdavies3

Post by kdavies3 »

Hi Dave, welcome aboard.
I'm a member here too.
I'll never forget our trip to the LMC in Crendon no.29. :D
Kev Davies
DAX Mk4, 383 Chevy Stroker, Tremec. SOLD
Contemporary CCX 3-4028, 445ci Big Block FORD FE,TKO 600. SOLD
Dax De Dion LS2 and T56. SOLD
1965 Ford Mustang 289 Convertible SOLD
In build Hawk 289 (302) Sebring. Awaiting IVA:D
289FIA
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by 289FIA »

Hi Kev,

Yeah they were the days!!

Hope to meet up soon,

Dave
simonjrwinter

Post by simonjrwinter »

Welcome David, wasn’t me at the track day.
Sounds like a nice spec for the Ace, should give it a lovely period feel.
Simon
TR6 (V8) Hawk 289 FIA (V8) Doing my bit for global warming.
289FIA
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by 289FIA »

simonjrwinter wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 6:44 am Welcome David, wasn’t me at the track day.
Sounds like a nice spec for the Ace, should give it a lovely period feel.
Simon
Simon,

Thanks for the welcome!

Its a steep learning curve for sure.

I'm getting bogged down in researching gauges, (that are relatively authentic), without being too an*l about it :?

David
simonjrwinter

Post by simonjrwinter »

That’s the way I like to think I’ve got my car, hopefully a “period” look but without trying to get every detail of the original cars. I don’t think the originals had heated seats for example.....😜
Simon
TR6 (V8) Hawk 289 FIA (V8) Doing my bit for global warming.
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

Welcome David. As Stuart says the only silly question is the one you don’t ask that costs you time and money to correct.

Simon the last thing you will need is heated seats when your car is left out in the sun for a couple of hours at a meeting or show bearing in mind we normally drive our cars when the weather is more summery.
Peter C