General Cobra & Ace topics
Ian Gould
T289R Member
T289R Member

Re: New member

Post by Ian Gould »

Front suspension all shot blasted.
Different advice received regarding painting. Hammerite is brilliant or rubbish, needs primer or doesn’t. Use primer then chassis paint, but that’ll chip. What about paint for the the springs?

Minefield.....
StewbieC
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by StewbieC »

Smooth Hammerite in an aerosol is Ok, you need to build up in thin layers. Simonez tough satin black is also good and a bit cheaper. Not used primer with either and it is fine.
I also zinc plate and zinc passivate smaller parts using a Gateros kit.
Let's you reuse older bolts too. I use Evaporust and wire brush them before cleaning and plating. It can save a fortune in replacement bolts and they come up great? It's also fun in these bleak times.
nikbj68
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by nikbj68 »

You could powder coat, and I can personally recommend North Wales Metal Finishers.
Hawk 289 FiA...AT LAST!!!
Ian Gould
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by Ian Gould »

I have a local shot blaster/painter, he charged me £60 to clean one side of my mg front suspension and quoted £140 to powdercoat it. So that’s £400 for the front and probably a similar amount for the rear. It just seems a lot of money. Is he expensive or is it me being tight?
I also wanted to as much of the prep myself for something to do in my semi retirement and the long wait for the kit.
Ian Gould
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by Ian Gould »

Su carbs seem popular but why use twin hs4 and not one hs8?. Wouldn’t it simplify things.

Christmas and new year dead time and I’m bored.
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

Ian, the route from a single carb into the combustion chamber would longer and be more tortuous for the first and last cylinders than with the twin carb set up. This would cause difficulties with getting good performance and reasonable economy. Better still with triples for a six cylinder engine.
Same reason that competition V8 engines have 4 twin choke carbs. The shorter the route the easier to get the fuel in. There is also more accurate metering with more of the smaller chokes.
I have even seen 4 cylinder engines with 4 carbs.
Peter C