General Cobra & Ace topics
Ian Gould
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by Ian Gould »

Hello everyone,
I have just ordered an ace off Gerry and he kindly paid for my 289 subscription, thanks Gerry, I am now spending time on the forum, gleaning information and deciding what to build.

I thought a 2.5 triumph engine with an auto gearbox. Don't see many mentions of atomatics, is there a reason? Will the gearbox fit?
Mgb suspension etc.
The IVA seems to be a trial, although a long way off for me.
Will getting a donor car make the process of building and registration any more straightforward?
I'm sure I will be asking a few more questions.
Thanks in advance for any help and support.
Ian Gould
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Re: New member

Post by peterc »

Ian, welcome aboard.
There are several members who have been through IVA recently who will be able to offer you up to date advice on the increasing requirements to get a pass on the lengthy IVA test.
Your main question of whether you need a donor is an emphatic YES it’s critical if you want to avoid a Q plate.
It’s no longer acceptable to just have a V5 document. DVLA want concrete evidence that the donor car existed and you are therefore transferring its identity across. It depends on the number of parts transferred as to whether you can get an age related reg number.
Perhaps a Gerry can assist in suggesting where to go for the donor.
Best of luck.
Peter C
Ian Gould
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by Ian Gould »

Thanks Peter, I have just received my build manual so lots to read and think about.
StewbieC
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by StewbieC »

Welcome aboard Ian,
I've sent out a welcome pack that hopefully you'll receive soon. There's lots of info on Aces in the magazines I sent so should add to your reading. You might want to look at the Building a 289 section as there's plenty of info there too and a couple of Ace builds as well as other build blogs that are useful too.
You will need a wire wheel tube axle for your build. Andy Jennings is a good supplier so it might worth a call into him.
You also need an early solid MGB column, standard B rack and front uprights as a minimum. There's a fair few other bits you can use too. You need at least two major components from a donor vehicle and other than the engine, the rest need to be receipted as new or as new to conform for an age related plate.
The rules are pretty straight forward. Accurate paperwork and evidence of your donor car and build.
I'm also building an Ace at the moment for another member who is struggling with time so if you have any questions let me know.
nikbj68
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by nikbj68 »

Hi and welcome.
The Triumph 2.5 is a great choice of engine for a Hawk Ace, but fitting an automatic is a ‘path less traveled’ as the original Ace (and indeed Cobra) were very rarely fitted with autos, so may add a few complications, such as mounting points, if they are different from the manual box.
I’m sure that if you need an auto, it is doable, so good luck, and keep us informed about your progress! 👍🏻
Hawk 289 FiA...AT LAST!!!
kdavies3

Post by kdavies3 »

Hi and welcome,
I don't know if you "need" an auto or that's what's in your donor vehicle?
If you don't need an auto then I'd steer clear of it.
As already said extra complications with mountings and plumbing.
Also the car car will be much less saleable when the time comes.
My advice would be go manual if you are able.
Kev Davies
DAX Mk4, 383 Chevy Stroker, Tremec. SOLD
Contemporary CCX 3-4028, 445ci Big Block FORD FE,TKO 600. SOLD
Dax De Dion LS2 and T56. SOLD
1965 Ford Mustang 289 Convertible SOLD
In build Hawk 289 (302) Sebring. Awaiting IVA:D
Ian Gould
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by Ian Gould »

Don't need an auto, just lazy:)
I'll go for the manual if its more straightforward.
Am I correct in thinking a wire wheel roadster is the best donor car for the ace?
StewbieC
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by StewbieC »

A wire wheel B is fine too and will be a lot cheaper, you just need the bits I advised previously.
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by Ian Gould »

I have picked up an mgb front suspension assembly and am rubbin and scrubbin. I will renew all the bushes, discs and pads. Is there a way of compressing the spring so I can dismantle
Thanks in advance.
Ian.
StewbieC
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by StewbieC »

It's a bit more difficult if you have the cross member with the suspension attached as at bottom stroke the spring is still under quite a bit of tension. Unfortunately as a result of the rubbish design you will struggle to get standard Spring compressors in. I made a clamp using some two lengths of 12mm threaded rod and two pieces of angle iron and clamped just behing the stub axle assembly. You need to be really careful as you cannot foresee the energy stored in those springs.