Splined hubs

General Cobra & Ace topics
Ian Gould
T289R Member
T289R Member

Splined hubs

Post by Ian Gould »

Happy new year everyone,

Thinking of unsprung weight. An mgb banjo axle with mini lite wheels seem to make a lot of difference but wire wheels look so nice. Seems that it’s the hubs that are heavy. Are the hubs available in alloy or are they all steel and that’s why they are heavy.
StewbieC
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Re: Splined hubs

Post by StewbieC »

I don't think the rostyle hubs and splined hubs vary that much in weight, I've had both in my hands at the same time.
In the scheme of things the difference in weight in the complete live axle assembly is going to be the square route of not a lot irrespective of alloy or steel hubs.
I've seen a skimmed flywheel go bang and trash someone's ankles, I've seen a lightweight prop flail someone's wedding tackle, I've seen plenty of hubs fail and they are all areas where I prefer to stick to with something substantial. IMHO
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by Ian Gould »

Stew, I appreciate and take onboard your input, during my wait for my kit I am gathering stuff and information. I used to be into mountain biking and it was said of building a bike light, strong and cheap, you can only choose two. When I started keeping bees my mentor said ask ten beekeepers for advice on a subject and you’ll get ten different answers. In this instant I suppose safety first will be paramount followed by limiting the amount of cash that I waste :D
StewbieC
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by StewbieC »

Having had some experience with Bee Keeping Associations I totally agree with your comments.
Sticking with a standardised build is a good way to minimise costs! When you go off piste there are numerous risks involved and it normally means duplication and retrospective substitution. There's got to be close to 300 Cobra / Ace Hawks in existence and the ones that get finished and SVA / IVA'd soonest are those that follow a large element of standardisation. Non standard items (significant alterations to the chassis, contentious engine choices and personalised colour schemes) can also impact future value. If you are mindful of cost, the tube type axle and tubular wishbone front end is probably the best compromise in cost, ease of registration and driveability. It is by no means the best option and MGB front end is also a much cheaper option with its own limitations.
If you are building a street car, wires are the right thing to go with. MWS wheels are not cheap but they do look the part. Unfortunately to build a half decent car you will be looking at around 30k irrespective of how you make your savings. The bits that look the part and are of decent quality are not cheap and if you are buying things in small scale there are always premiums to pay.
If you do it right then the car will be worth more than you paid for the bits, if you cut corners you may impact the value or add a tremendous amount of hours (even years) to the build.
Things to keep an eye out for are solid early MGB columns, Tube type wire wheel axles as they are getting fewer and further between.
If you need any further advice just mail me. You'll find my details in the members area. As you are in Staffordshire you are welcome to visit me in sunny Shropshire when Boris allows.
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by Ian Gould »

Mornin, I'm getting a picture in my mind now. I have purchased a 1968 mgb gt. I will probably use as much of that as I can then make any changes later as I feel the need. Apparently the mg b was/is an ok car anyway so with all the parts serviced polished and painted I'm sure the car will be fine. I'd prefer the 6 cylinder. engine though 🙂
StewbieC
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by StewbieC »

Changing engine and gearbox etc is one of the most costly upgrades / changes (chassis mods for mounts, new exhaust and and and)
If you are building an Ace replica then you could probably stick with what you have. If its a Cobra replica I'm not going to say I told you so but......
Just refer back to this post when you have finished your car and after you go to a few shows :wink:
Its the same as how many people take a 60's mustang and fit an inline 6 engine retrospectively even though a large proportion of cars came with these engines as standard.(I know modern ones have 4 pots!!!)
It is your car so you can do what you want but hindsight is always 20:20
It isn't about being snobby or anything of that kind, we all want everyone to have a great car.
nikbj68
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by nikbj68 »

Has anyone ever used MGC running gear including engine & ‘box in a Hawk Ace?
You will have enough components if you utilitise the MGB running gear and Triumph engine/‘box to get your age-related plate, so better to commit to that first than plan to upgrade, when there is no real need to...👍🏻
Hawk 289 FiA...AT LAST!!!
crendonman

Re: Splined hubs /Wire wheels for ACE

Post by crendonman »

Getting my components ready for my Hawk ACE.

I already have a MGB tube wire wheel rear axle, and will fit the Hawk front end axles etc, but would like to ask you ACE guys what size wheels you are using.

I think that Gerry once told me the original cars had 16” x 4” but suggested that 15” x 4.5” all round is the best option these days.
What size wheels are you guys using?

Thanks

David