Re: Important petition.

Post by FIAJack »

Yes indeed.
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

I have signed but there needs to be a clarification between changing, adjusting and/or improving a part to tampering.
There must be plenty of sub standard parts around that pretend to be safe without appearing to be tampered with from the original design.
Tampering certainly infers interfering with the design such as to cause an issue to its safe use.

Peter C
KevinW
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by KevinW »

peterc wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 4:08 pm I have signed but there needs to be a clarification between changing, adjusting and/or improving a part to tampering.
There must be plenty of sub standard parts around that pretend to be safe without appearing to be tampered with from the original design.
Tampering certainly infers interfering with the design such as to cause an issue to its safe use.

Peter C
Peter - I would suggest that any form of change undertaken by anyone outside of the trade would be deemed as tampering. I prefer not to sound like Brexiteer, but I believe this is the case in some other EU nations where the motor manufacturers have the govt in their pockets and even pattern parts are not permitted.
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

Yes, the thin end of the wedge.
I'm sure that some time in the future a court case will decide the finer points of modification versus tampering.
I think that the end of home built cars could be on the horizon.
Enjoy it while you can guys.
Peter C
simonjrwinter

Post by simonjrwinter »

I’m of the same opinion Peter. I’m pretty sure our children/Grandchildren won’t be enjoying the freedoms we do.
Simon
TR6 (V8) Hawk 289 FIA (V8) Doing my bit for global warming.
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

Just rec’d a reply from the petitions team to state they appreciate that owners may want to modify their vehicle and they are not trying to prevent modifications as such but prevent tampering that might have a negative effect on the safety, security or emissions of the vehicle.
I don’t think one can agree against their intentions it’s just a question of how far reaching it will become.
As previously stated the word ‘tampering’ suggests negative actions. It will come down to how the remainder of the law is worded.
Peter C
KevinW
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by KevinW »

peterc wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 10:14 am Just rec’d a reply from the petitions team to state they appreciate that owners may want to modify their vehicle and they are not trying to prevent modifications as such but prevent tampering that might have a negative effect on the safety, security or emissions of the vehicle.
I don’t think one can agree against their intentions it’s just a question of how far reaching it will become.
As previously stated the word ‘tampering’ suggests negative actions. It will come down to how the remainder of the law is worded.
Peter C
I have been led to understand that 'tampering' in some EU countries is just fitting a pattern part or carrying work out that a dealer may have preferred to have charged for. Perhaps I am too cynical, but the devil is always in the detail.
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

I would have to say I would tend to agree Kevin. Like so many well intentioned laws it becomes all enveloping and ends up trapping us all and removing our current freedoms.
Interpretation becomes very interesting. I had a communication with my insurance company about the fitting of LED bulbs. One of their replies included the need to have them fitted professionally. I had to remind them that the whole car was amateur built. I think my manufacture and fitting of brake lines would be far more important than changing of a bulb. The MOT should pick up any irregularities.
I have now changed my insurance company the broker of which suggested that the industry knew our type of cars were modified/ personalised in one way or another and merely wanted to know the approx BHP.
Peter C