R.I.P. forum

General Cobra & Ace topics
StewbieC
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Re: R.I.P. forum

Post by StewbieC »

Photos can be posted by copying the link from a photo hosting site into the post text or using the attachment tab next to options below the text box.
clive
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by clive »

I do not understand why anyone building/owning a 289 wouldn’t be a member of the club. £40 a year for full access to the forum, four magazines per year and various discounts to events and insurance make it a no brainier especially when you take into account the cost of building/owning one of our cars.
Cheers, Clive.

(If I'm not here I'm in my workshop or on the golf course!)
cobraboy

Post by cobraboy »

I choose which clubs to belong to on merit, and what enjoyment I get out of it.
Until recently I owned four different classics, and one classic motorcycle. There is no way I am spending a couple of hundred pounds on memberships to belong to all, before I even consider driving anything.
I have had my 289 since 1993 and only joined T289R a year or so back. After the one year and the couple of times I met up with other members I decided that it was not beneficial to remain a member.
I’ll have a crack at posting pics, thx for the info.
I do have a sense of amusement that the fellow that started this thread on lack of forum content has decided not to post anything on here anymore, especially when he has a new build ongoing that would certainly enrich the forum content, much as his previous build did.
rhattersley
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by rhattersley »

peterc wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 2:46 pm Perhaps 289’s are just busy building.
Yup ... busy building here. So about the only thing I could usually post would be questions, but I don't want to pester with too many of those and anyway, figuring stuff out is part of the fun of it.
StuBaker

Post by StuBaker »

Hmm, yes and err, no?
It can be expensive figuring it out. I've just spent an hour or so looking for seat heights or seat type info and failed. £1.5k is a lot of dosh (to me anyway) to find out they are too tall.
And I was surprised at how many unanswered questions there were just on that subject line.
I have also failed miserably searching for Lucas PRS7 switch numbers. Or even equivalents.
After all these years I'd expect to see a parts inventory by now. The only one I've seen is Chucks Cobra but that's drawings of his own car and will cost a couple of grand. As I have said previously it seems the Shelby intellectual property is closely guarded.
Luckily so far I reckon I've only overspent by about £750. This includes IVA stuff that I can sell on. But converting to more realistic spec is where the cash goes.
Just for the record I love my car. I love driving it. I love sourcing stuff. Preferably before I'm too old.
Keep Driving,
Stu
clive
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by clive »

StuBaker wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 9:52 pm
I have also failed miserably searching for Lucas PRS7 switch numbers. Or even equivalents.

https://www.holden.co.uk/p/lucas-33966- ... switch-1?s
Cheers, Clive.

(If I'm not here I'm in my workshop or on the golf course!)
StuBaker

Post by StuBaker »

Thanks Clive, that'll do for me.
I'll add it to the parts list I'm compiling.
Frank289
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by Frank289 »

In my eyes it's quite everywhere, some apps are constantly beeping, I turned the sound off lol,
.and most posts at the apps are a lot of B....t. I'm super happy here.
Dave Woodward
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by Dave Woodward »

My view is that the volume of other channels has depleted activity on many forums and does not add much in the end for the clubs other than scratching that itch that you have to be on all of them. If you look at the Cobra Register, they haven't had a post on their forum for over a year. They've promoted the facebook page as the main channel but this doesn't lend itself in the same way to promoting club community, supporting build questions or general banter in the same way.

Our forum, the Wiki, the members area etc are all invaluable and cannot be replicated by other channels. PCGB for example have WhatsApp 'weekend drive' groups which are great for organising local runs out but equally are buried in 'comedy banter' and pictures of somebody's latest expensive purchase which makes it difficult to find what you are really looking for.

I remain grateful to this day for all the assistance and guidance I received through the Forum during the MANY years of my build and the friends Nicky and I made along the way (you know who you are :)) and I know others feel the same.

I will make a personal note to self to access the forum more regularly and start posting again - guilty as charged. Lets nurture it!

Post by simonjrwinter »

Hear hear. 👍