IVA today

General Cobra & Ace topics
simonjrwinter

IVA today

Post by simonjrwinter »

Well, I took my Hawk down to Gillingham today for its IVA test.
We arrived with the trailer at 7 (test was at 8) and we left at about 4!
The tester called me the evening before to tell me he would be training 3 other testers on the car so we were prepared for it to be a long day. To be fair, my pal and I learnt an awful lot from the instruction and it was a very interesting day. He also told me he’s been testing for 7 years and only been able to pass two cars first time.
I was expecting a fail (and wasn’t disappointed) but very pleased that the car passed on so many points. Most of the fails are pretty minor and could probably be all fixed in a weekend. The only thing that’s going to requite assistance from you guys is the brakes.
It has a balance bar fitted, 4 pot fronts, jag rears and a servo just on the front circuit ( I presume this is normal!)
On testing, the brakes were all fine but the backs locked slightly before the fronts (with the servo connected and working) they want the fronts to lock first WITHOUT the servo working. I’m concerned that there may not be enough adjustment on the balance bar......Is this a common fail point with Hawks?
They were very complementary about the quality of the kit, and I feel they did a fair and very thorough inspection certainly not the sort of thing a well built kit builder should be nervous of. All round a very good day.

Simon
TR6 (V8) Hawk 289 FIA (V8) Doing my bit for global warming.
StewbieC
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Re: IVA today

Post by StewbieC »

One step closer to being on the road pal!
If the to do list is manageable, then it's got to be seen as a result.
As to the brakes, 4 pot at the front and jag at the rear, that is a very popular combination and a servo is not that popular.
Based upon that, I'm sure that there should be sufficient adjustment in the brake bias to allow the fronts to lock up first, I certainly hope so as I'm fitting a jag back end to mine soon!

Post by kenv »

Glad it went well Simon and hope you get the bits sorted. I must admit the brakes seem a common issue and I'm not looking forward to that with mine hopefully later this year. Mines all MGB so no help I'm afraid, but the split system messes things up!
Regards
Ken
clive
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by clive »

Hi Simon, well done on the test. From what I've heard, Gillinghan is a difficult place to pass first time and the fact the tester admitted he's only passed two cars first time in seven years wouldn't fill me with confidence, plus the fact he was training other testers suggests he would be looking at things very carefully.
As far as the brakes are concerned, and as Stu suggests, a servo isn't that common on Hawk 289s. My thought is the brake pads haven't bedded in so the front won't be as efficient as the more powerful Jaguar rears. You haven't told us which pads you have fitted, but if using standard pads and If the bias is set as far as it can to the front it should be sufficient for the test. If however you are using pads such as Greenstuff or similar, they are not as efficient when cold so will not give maximum 'grab' when tested.
Cheers, Clive.

(If I'm not here I'm in my workshop or on the golf course!)
db replicas

Post by db replicas »

If you can't get enough adjustment from the balance bar then you need to go up a size on the master cylinders for the rear brakes, or down a size on the master cylinders for the front brakes. ;-)
KevinW
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by KevinW »

Yes, Gillingham is tough. I had to put large (100x100mm2)spreader plates under the seat belt mountings, and the dash stickers were deemed unacceptable, so replaced with metal land rover switch labels.
simonjrwinter

Post by simonjrwinter »

Booked my re-test on Wednesday, earliest I can get a booking is April!......bugger

Simon
Last edited by simonjrwinter on Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
allan horsfall

Post by allan horsfall »

That is nonsense, did you tell them it was for a retest, as they only have to check the items it failed on?

Allan
simonjrwinter

Post by simonjrwinter »

Yes, they’re just completely booked up and only have one tester. They have to book a 100 minute slot for a re-test no matter how many items you fail on. They’ve told me I can ring up and ask if there’s any cancellations, but they are supposedly few and far between. I’ll get stuck into the jobs I’ve got to do and the give them a call in a week or so.
Simon
Frank289
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by Frank289 »

I dont know about the Iva in the Uk. I just know that the Dutch RDW also reeds our forum etc. ??? It might get you into problems wenn u right wrong things?