UK build agent?

Information about builds and rebuilds, post away!
User avatar
Posts: 820
Joined: Sun Jan 03, 2010 8:25 pm
Location: Upminster, Essex.

Re: UK build agent?

Post by simonjrwinter » Thu Mar 05, 2020 2:23 pm

The only (legal) way to get a tax exempt Hawk nowadays is to buy a pre-SVA car. The rules were very different then and many cars were registered as having a reg date as the donor. If you go down this route, do NOT buy a car described an the V5 as the donor (ie MGB or Jag) that’s a whole other can of worms!
TR6 (V8) Hawk 289 FIA (V8) Doing my bit for global warming.

User avatar
T289R Member
T289R Member
Posts: 3100
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:18 am
Location: Perth

Re: UK build agent?

Post by clive » Thu Mar 05, 2020 2:32 pm

I think we are getting confused with terms. Historic Vehicle is the taxation class of the car as defined in item 4 [X] of the V5. This is the definition that is used to determine how much the road tax you pay and was displayed on the old tax disc the same as was PLG etc. This was determined by the age of the vehicle and was granted when the vehicle became 25 years old.
When you register your kit built car after IVA, depending on what components and how many are from the donor vehicle, there are three types of registration.
Firstly, if you use two or more major components (I think) from the donor and can prove it, you can apply for an Age Related registration and you will be granted an unissued registration number from the year the donor car was first registered and the original number is scrapped. This is what I think you mean by a historic registration.
Secondly, if using all new parts you will be issued with a registration number relative to the date you register the vehicle.
Thirdly if you cannot prove the age or source of the major components you will be issued with a "Q" plate.
If registered as new or age related, you can change the registration number to a cherished plate as long as it doesn't make the car appear as if it was registered after the original. (ie, you can't put a 2005 registration on a 2003 car)
If you have a "Q" plate, you cannot change the registration.
Cheers, Clive.

(If I'm not here I'm in my workshop or on the golf course!)

Post Reply