Let the games begin ...

Information about builds and rebuilds, post away!
Roger King

Re: Let the games begin ...

Post by Roger King »

Dave Woodward wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 11:15 am Always looking for that next project though :wink:
As I found to my cost, that is a very dangerous and incredibly expensive path to take...
Dave Woodward
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by Dave Woodward »

Roger King wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 11:29 am As I found to my cost, that is a very dangerous and incredibly expensive path to take...
You love it :wink:

Post by Roger King »

Some of the time...
clive
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by clive »

Roger King wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 11:29 am

As I found to my cost, that is a very dangerous and incredibly expensive path to take...
Still cheaper than a divorce! :?
Cheers, Clive.

(If I'm not here I'm in my workshop or on the golf course!)
Dave Woodward
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by Dave Woodward »

For those of you that run Gerry’s IRS can I take a poll to see what spring rates you use, what damper spec you run (travel etc), and how you find the ride under different conditions. Just trying to understand options.
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by clive »

Hi Dave,

Sorry I can't really help with specs. I simply used Gerry's supplied springs and dampers. What I can say is that the ride and handling is fantastic. My setup was intended for fast road use, in particular for the quiet country roads we have here. I have, however, covered many motorway miles both here and abroad and the car is a terrific motorway cruiser. Initially I had the rear dampers a bit too firm but after easing them off a couple of clicks it felt more planted. Tyre pressures make a difference too. I have 24 psi front and 26 psi rear on Blockley tyres.
Cheers, Clive.

(If I'm not here I'm in my workshop or on the golf course!)
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

Dave, you need to check the shock absorber pick-up points first. The Jag lower 'wishbone' is shortened for the Hawk application, and needs to be shortened further for the outboard disc conversion. In the original design, I had each wishbone shortened in two places to keep the lower shock absorber location in the same place. You need to check that is how yours has been done - if the positions have changed as a result of the extra shortening, your spring rates will not be the same as the standard Jag rear axle setup.
How do you find the Blockleys, Clive? I'm thinking of fitting their 185VR16s to my XK140.
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

Hi Dave, I would love to help but like Clive I just accepted what Gerry had arranged with Wards as the shocks and springs came as a complete kit.
What I can advise is that I needed flat helper springs to keep the main springs in position on full suspension drop. Basically in trying to get the car low enough to look correct the spring platforms allowed the springs to be loose when the car was jacked up. These springs are rated at only around 4lbs so are totally collapsed when supporting the car but open up as the suspension is unloaded.
In view of Rogers comments I guess you have a fair bit of investigation to do.
Best of luck.
Peter C
kdavies3

Post by kdavies3 »

I've built mine with IRS with outboard discs, very muck like the OP's.
I used Gerry's IRS conversion brackets from the off.
My IRS assembly was supplied by "Simply Performance" (Talk to Ben).
You can get the whole thing done or they'll supply as much as you want so you can do as much of the work as you want to.
I just had the diff, shortened shafts, arms and hubs (which I rebuilt).
They can also supply the splined hub adaptors.
I can't fault the service.
They have all the info for Hawk Cars.
Interesting in Peter's comment about helper springs.
I thought that might to the case as I think mine is going to sit high too if I adjust to take out all the slack at full droop.
I was considering shorter springs ( mine are Gerry's supplied ones).
Don't want to do it yet though until the car has been on the road and settled as they do.
Kev Davies
DAX Mk4, 383 Chevy Stroker, Tremec. SOLD
Contemporary CCX 3-4028, 445ci Big Block FORD FE,TKO 600. SOLD
Dax De Dion LS2 and T56. SOLD
1965 Ford Mustang 289 Convertible SOLD
In build Hawk 289 (302) Sebring. Awaiting IVA:D
StewbieC
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by StewbieC »

I have the outboard brake set up from Wards.
The damper and spring pick up points are cock on, no UJ binding and the springs are permanently engaged even on full droop and don't require helper springs.
I don't know what the spring rates are, I just fitted the standard offering from Gerry / Dampertech and they are cock on, hence why I binned the boxes with the product codes on them.
I use them on real bad pot hole infested roads, single track. B and A roads and the car handles like a dream
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by StewbieC on Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.