Edelbrock Performer erratic water temperature

Technical Area for all the problems you have in the garage
BrianC
T289R Member
T289R Member

Re: Edelbrock Performer erratic water temperature

Post by BrianC »

Found these very useful when sorting out cooling problems. Strategically placed around system - on each side on top of Edelbrock manifold, Header Tank and lower hose return to Water Pump. Makes interesting reading, and more accurate than a lot of gauges.

https://www.omega.co.uk/pptst/RLC-50.html
Homewood
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by Homewood »

Looks good, what temperature range did you buy ? I couldn't seem to find the most appropriate.
Homewood
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by Homewood »

I've noticed today, the little top hose from the mgb v8 radiator that returns to the top of my expansion tank, there is a very steady stream of water and in the building a sumo they put a restrictor in it...

"With a standard Sumo cooling set up a problem can occur that the water being circulated by the water pump will not flow through the radiator, instead it finds the path of least resistance through the expansion tank, this can lead to greatly reduced cooling effects. A simple solution is to restrict the flow to the expansion tank for the water, this can be done by placing a simple restrictor in the bleed pipe that runs from the top of the rad to the expansion tank"

Should this return be flowing constantly ?
BrianC
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by BrianC »

When I checked back I got them from a company called Temperature Indicators Co. !
They seemed to have increased their range now and have these which look perfect for the job, i.e 77 c - 127 c

https://temperature-indicators.co.uk/pr ... 0168310819
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

Tony, you suggest that when the temp goes ballistic you think it’s air/ steam going through.
In that case have you tried jacking the car up at the front during the filling process to reduce trapped air. Bearing in mind you have had the stat out several times, then each time you fill back up you stand the risk of trapped air.
When mine does it’s first warm up after draining the system I wait until it’s hot and watch for the stat to open. E.g temp gauge drops. Then I switch off and allow to settle. Invariably the water level in the overflow tank drops dramatically when it cools back down indicating is has managed to push air out and suck water in. After topping up the overflow to the correct level it might drop again at the next heating up. Not unusual to need to top up 3 times.
Peter C
Homewood
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by Homewood »

Peter yes did all the jacking bit and a plastic bottle on top of expansion tank full of water. Spoke to a guy at my local garage he said it may just be hot water in the system when it goes ballistic. Suggested perhaps the water pump pulley wheel too big and not coping with high speed. Also not a head gasket pressure issue as works OK without thermostat. Have put 2mm restrictor in small hose from radiator to header tank seems to have reduced the temperature so will put thermostat back in and see....
kdavies3

Post by kdavies3 »

Homewood wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:50 pm Decided to take thermostat out today. I still think an air lock but I did notice the jiggle pin wasn't at 12 o'clock more like 2 o'clock and the jiggle pin looks to me the wrong way round. Water flows through thermostat to top hose of radiater, this pin would not allow air or water through. Am I right ?

IMG_20200803_203611520.jpg

When I look at this one it's around the other way. Assuming the spring side is correct fitting into the manifold then the racerestorations one below would work like I think it should. Any ideas ?

http://www.racetorations.co.uk/triumph- ... stat-p1254
Actually the coolant flows from the engine into the bottom hose, only using bypass flow around the engine during warm up.
When the stat reaches temperature (fitted as you say spring and bulb side to engine / manifold) the stat opens and allows coolant to flow through through the radiator and back into the engine.
Your symptoms certainly do sound like an air lock.
Kev Davies
DAX Mk4, 383 Chevy Stroker, Tremec. SOLD
Contemporary CCX 3-4028, 445ci Big Block FORD FE,TKO 600. SOLD
Dax De Dion LS2 and T56. SOLD
1965 Ford Mustang 289 Convertible SOLD
In build Hawk 289 (302) Sebring. Awaiting IVA:D
clive
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by clive »

kdavies3 wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 10:25 am

Actually the coolant flows from the engine into the bottom hose,
The coolant flows from the engine to the radiator through the top hose and returns to the engine from the radiator via the bottom hose.
Cheers, Clive.

(If I'm not here I'm in my workshop or on the golf course!)
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

Agree with Clive.
Works on the same principle as hot air rises. Therefore the water will be cooler at the bottom.
I still think that there is a design error with the Edelbrock inlet manifold but some people seem to have no issues at all.
Perhaps they never look at the temp gauge.
Peter C
Homewood
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by Homewood »

Perhaps their temperature take off isn't in the manifold....mind the engine makes horrible noises when too hot...

Anyone have one of these ?

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/ofy-5165