Correct style washer bottles

Technical Area for all the problems you have in the garage
amulheirn
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Re: Correct style washer bottles

Post by amulheirn »

Ah - no not like that. The Trico logo I got is on the push button on the dash only - the bottle is round and unbranded, in a black metal cage.

This whole cobra thing is a minefield isn't it?
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

I have had a few of those ex-MOD bottle kits - they are for sixties Series Land Rovers, which were built without washers. The law requiring windscreen washers is the only one ever in the UK that was applied retrospectively, so LR made these kits for the military. I have one on my '67 Series 2A, which was built without washers, and it is exactly as you describe. The Trico push-button 'switch' is readily available for Land Rovers, but not the square bottle as the LR one is round. The Trico pump was used in 427s, but all 289s had electric pumps operated by a switch to the right of the steering wheel (RHD). Rinsey Mills' 'Original AC Ace and Cobra' shows a photo of the 2SJ bottle on p.82, but incorrectly identifies it as a FS2, which I don't think is a Lucas/Smiths part number. The photo is of an AC289, not a leafspring car.

I don't have a definitive answer to the gear lever chrome trim ring. The 'fomoco'-stamped version is, I think, an early part - my 1966 Sunbeam Tiger had one, as I think did all Tigers. This seems like an anomaly as Cobras predated Tigers, but MK1 Tigers were built up until 1967/8, and all had 260 engines. It was a handful of MK2 Tigers that gained the 289 in '68, so it seems likely that Rootes had stock of 260 engines and transmissions to use up until that date. The 260 predated the 289 and I suspect the stamped ring was only supplied with the early units, and more particularly only with toploaders. No Cobra was ever supplied with a toploader originally.
I've not come across a Cobra fitted with a stamped ring, and no one in the States was able to confirm one way or the other. From memory, I'm pretty sure that Dan Case's wonderfully original car has an unstamped gear lever ring. This was discussed in the US forum some years ago and I think the outcome consensus was that Cobras were supplied originally with the plain ring.
My old Tiger's gear lever ring was exactly the same as the repro Cobra ones, apart from the stamping. I have had an ebay search going for one for over 10 years now with no luck, but I don't think they're correct anyway - with the possible exception of the early 260-engined Cobras.
amulheirn
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by amulheirn »

Thanks Roger - that makes sense. I'm thinking of re-doing my dash in aluminium with everything in the right place over the winter, so I will convert to the 2SJ in the process I think.

The gear lever trim ring I have is square-edged, so I guess if I could even get a more rounded chrome one I would be happy enough. This one looks more authentic: https://www.csxparts.com/p-696-chrome-t ... -ring.aspx
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

Yes, it shouldn't have square edges. There are plenty about - they usually come with the screws. These four are the only cross-head screws that should be found on your Cobra.
KevinW
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by KevinW »

That is interesting Roger - I have only got slot heads on the visible screws my car.
Do you know if this is true for 427s, and if so, whether the screws on the ring should be pozis or ...?
Kevin
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

The screws on the chrome ring on 289s should be chromed crossheads, I think pozis but possibly Philips. They screw into Spire nuts on the aluminium tunnel. I don't know about 427s, I'm afraid.
clive
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by clive »

Posidriv screws were not patented until 1964, so probably Philips.
Cheers, Clive.

(If I'm not here I'm in my workshop or on the golf course!)
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

Correct Clive. I've just checked Dan Case's Cobra fasteners spreadsheet, and they are:

Ford part #, 5/8" length steel Philips raised countersunk, chromium plated. Shift boot retainer, sheet metal type screw (self tap in English), 23/64" head OD and 0.22" x 0.22" cross dimensions.

I think it's more than likely that they simply cut their own thread in the aluminium tunnel sheet metal rather than retained with Spire nuts. AC did this frequently - the stainless steel screen washer jets were similarly retained by chromium-plated self-tapping raised c/s screws, cutting directly into the aluminium bodywork. I admit I could not bring myself to do this, so used 4BA screws with nuts and washers.
clive
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by clive »

Roger King wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 10:29 pm I admit I could not bring myself to do this, so used 4BA screws with nuts and washers.
At least you kept to Imperial and not 4mm! :D
Cheers, Clive.

(If I'm not here I'm in my workshop or on the golf course!)
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

Not one metric fastener anywhere on my car, Clive. Pretty much all the smaller fasteners on a Cobra are BA.