Winter projects

Technical Area for all the problems you have in the garage
StewbieC
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Re: Winter projects

Post by StewbieC »

kdavies3 wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 11:06 am You probably already know this but Holley now own MSD and I think Mallory.

I'm running an eight stack arrangement on the the Hawk (yet to be road tested).
I've used the upper tank feed / breather as the return line for the fuel system.
I've added a breather into the short filler neck.
As the tank is quite small I'm going to try and run without a swirl pot at first.
Hi Kev, which cam and heads did you go for?
I did see that Holley had been hoovering up the competition!
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

Had my Autolite 4100 off for an overhaul and clean up. They are beautiful carbs, perfectly matched to the 289 engine. There's something nice about a carb you can set the float levels on while the engine's idling... another job will be to sort the studs on the cast-iron manifold-to-collector pipe joints. They work loose with monotonous regularity, but I don't want to change the original Fastenal 12-points so I can live with it. Pain to get to, though. The car's overdue a 500-mile full lube service, too. Still, it won't be going anywhere much this year now.
kdavies3

Post by kdavies3 »

Hi Stu,
I went with big valve aluminium heads in the end. Basically similar to Edelbrock Performer RPM heads.
Also went with an Edelbrock 2221 Rollin' Thunder roller cam etc.
Their spec sheet says it could make 380 bhp in my spec. (large pinch of salt probably).
As I said before not road tested yet.
Kev Davies
DAX Mk4, 383 Chevy Stroker, Tremec. SOLD
Contemporary CCX 3-4028, 445ci Big Block FORD FE,TKO 600. SOLD
Dax De Dion LS2 and T56. SOLD
1965 Ford Mustang 289 Convertible SOLD
In build Hawk 289 (302) Sebring. Awaiting IVA:D
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

Kev
It would be interesting to know your BHP/ tonne when you have finished.
Peter C
CobStang

Post by CobStang »

Roger King wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:47 pm Had my Autolite 4100 off for an overhaul and clean up. They are beautiful carbs, perfectly matched to the 289 engine. There's something nice about a carb you can set the float levels on while the engine's idling... another job will be to sort the studs on the cast-iron manifold-to-collector pipe joints. They work loose with monotonous regularity, but I don't want to change the original Fastenal 12-points so I can live with it. Pain to get to, though. The car's overdue a 500-mile full lube service, too. Still, it won't be going anywhere much this year now.
I am using a 4100 built to 289 HiPo spec on a Rover 4.6 and it suits very well indeed, agree very nice carbs.
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

Just finished my Winter/ Covid shut down projects.
Bigger valves fitted in what were gas flowed stage 2 heads and now successfully rolling roaded.
Articles in the mag so I won’t expand further here.
Peter C
Last edited by peterc on Thu Oct 29, 2020 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
monster7

Post by monster7 »

StewbieC wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:08 pm
monster7 wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 1:19 pm I have a MSD Atomic sitting on my desk :). It's basically the same system with less fancy features...
I know several people running that system with success. To run it right, do some research in the forums, e.g a absolute leak free exhaust system is a must.
How did you get on with this?
Sorry for late reply.
I'm currently rebuilding my engine and the system is not running yet. However, i new a handful users and all are quite happy with it. It is important also not to use it with big cams.
Jerryedmans
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by Jerryedmans »

Would be interested to know how you get on with the MSD or similar. I have Holley which is doing the job but suspect an EFI would help improve power and response. I get some spit back thru the carb when cold and engine under strain - which is not a particular problem - just have to maintain revs when cold and be gentle. But if there were benefits of fuel economy, power, responsiveness etc. it would be worth thinking about - but a big outlay.
kdavies3

Post by kdavies3 »

Hi Jerry,
I got 32 mpg out of my 289 powered 65 Mustang on the way to last years Silverstone Classic.
It also had all the usual upgrades, ally heads , cam etc.
That was with the GoEFI system.
Kev Davies
DAX Mk4, 383 Chevy Stroker, Tremec. SOLD
Contemporary CCX 3-4028, 445ci Big Block FORD FE,TKO 600. SOLD
Dax De Dion LS2 and T56. SOLD
1965 Ford Mustang 289 Convertible SOLD
In build Hawk 289 (302) Sebring. Awaiting IVA:D
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

A well-setup carb system will give good returns - my '68 fastback has a 393 stroker with an Edelbrock 750, and over the last 45,000 miles it has returned an average of just on 28mpg. Track driving gives around 8-9, but motorways give around 34 cruising at 80-85. In Germany, obviously.