Bl**dy valley gasket!

Technical Area for all the problems you have in the garage
simonjrwinter

Bl**dy valley gasket!

Post by simonjrwinter »

The valley gasket on the rover v8 in my TR6 has leaked for years. Finally a few weeks ago I’d had enough and started stripping it down…one thing led to another and I removed the heads to check/lap my valves. After putting it all back together and taking it for a run (it’s running beautifully by the way) got home, lifted the bonnet and the bloody new valley gasket is leaking oil again!!!! GGGGRRRRRR!
I’ll take the intake manifold off on Monday to try yet again to seal it, but does anyone have any tips for sealing these damn things?
Simon
TR6 (V8) Hawk 289 FIA (V8) Doing my bit for global warming.
Migge

Re: Bl**dy valley gasket!

Post by Migge »

I have mounted this thick compositive gasket. Put a small worm around euch hole and a thicker worm heat resistant silicone at the front and rear and let it dry a little bit and after about 10 minutes I put on the valley gasket and clamped down the front and rear clamps. After that the manifold. After a few hours I thighten everything again. First start a day later. Dry since 2015.
simonjrwinter

Post by simonjrwinter »

Thanks, I’ll give it a go before I weld a massive plate over the whole lot!!!!!
TR6 (V8) Hawk 289 FIA (V8) Doing my bit for global warming.
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

The main issue with oil leaks in the valley is ensuring that the ends of the rubber seals are correctly located before bolting down the clamps. They might need persuading to be in correct place. Add a bit of silicone just on the end portions.
Peter C