Glovebox hinge

For Sale and Wanted Section
StuBaker

Glovebox hinge

Post by StuBaker »

I have a quote from Gold & Wassall for the glove box hinge to near original spec.
Minimum order is 10 units and they are about £23 each with carriage on top. (4-5 weeks delivery)
Would anyone else like one? Guessing on carriage from supplier I'd say £25 per hinge plus postage to you.
Spec:
Hinge flaps: Brass Hinge pin: Brass
Length: 203.2mm
Width open: 25.4mm
Gauge: 1mm
Pin Diameter: 2mm
Joint (Knuckle) Length: 12.7mm nominal
Chrome plated
Holes at 2-5/16" centres.
Cheers,
Stu
PS if you know of cheaper let me know quick before I place order!
Migge

Re: Glovebox hinge

Post by Migge »

Holy sh....

Just take a small metal piano hinge. It doesn't matter what colour because it is covered with cloth or leather or.....

10 pieces, each 240 mm for under £8

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/192764860372 ... R9zBpJfPYQ
clive
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by clive »

Totally agree with Migge. £4.10 from B&Q. https://www.diy.com/departments/hardwar ... 796927.cat
Cheers, Clive.

(If I'm not here I'm in my workshop or on the golf course!)
StuBaker

Post by StuBaker »

Ha Ha!
You Guys,
If I only use one it's £250!! The cost of originality. I haven't found any chrome brass hinge anywhere.
I was thinking of buying a Steinway and robbing the hinge off that. Well, 8" any way. May be cheaper.
Cheap as chips may be the best option but I've seen the B&Q version and knowing their prices that's probably 50p's worth of crap. I have a few weeks before I need it So I'll keep looking.
Appreciate your guidance, Just don't tell the Missus.
Stu
Migge

Post by Migge »

A piano hinge is no rocket science. And remember how often it is in use. May you drive your Cobra every weekend which I doubt. Okay say 20 times per year. And you open each time the glove box which I doubt too. 20 x per year glove box movement. 20 year makes 400 movements. That should even a cheap hinge can do. Just my 2 pence.
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

So you are trying for originality. Have you used BSW/ BSF threads throughout the build?
You need to decide how authentic you really need to go to create a good replica.
I doubt anyone is going to know the authenticity of the glove box hinge. I’m sure near enough is good enough.
Peter C
StuBaker

Post by StuBaker »

You guys are right and I have listened. It will never be a REAL 289.
I have now found some much cheaper solid brass hinge. Unchromed.
The thing is while researching the dash I came across and was inspired by Roger Kings research and posts on the same subject. He sourced his hinge from the same supplier. I know his Kirkham bodied car is much nearer to original than mine and near originality is more easily achieved.
However, some things need to be done right first time whilst others such as gauges and switches can be swapped out later.
In terms of originality it's a gradual thing for me. As and when parts or funds become available. Elbow grease is free so If I can make it myself I'll have a go.
So screws are on the radar! and some are correct. although 95% of the car is never going to be to original spec.
For me the car is a driver in the summer and in the winter is a therapeutic distraction. This winter it's dash, gear lever and seats. Oh, and washer jets.
PS - how do you feel about fitting the AH glove box lock?
Cheers,
StuB
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

I just used the glove box lock supplied by Gerry along with the other locks.
Peter C
StuBaker

Post by StuBaker »

Peter, I guess that is an IVA item?
The AH one would probably fail IVA.
Are you building for IVA?
StuB
clive
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by clive »

Don't fit the glovebox until after the IVA.

Cheers, Clive.

(If I'm not here I'm in my workshop or on the golf course!)