Smiths Clock bezels on eBay.

For Sale and Wanted Section
phlip99
T289R Member
T289R Member

Smiths Clock bezels on eBay.

Post by phlip99 »

New Smiths /Jaeger Electric car clock chrome bezel. Unissued genuine part.

Just in case anyone is interested. I can confirm, having bought one, that they are indeed new unused. The tabs often break if you try any maintenance on these clocks, plus the bezel is easily scratched. So a good chance to get a replacement.

Phil

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/404173304492 ... name=11021
allan horsfall

Re: Smiths Clock bezels on eBay.

Post by allan horsfall »

Thanks for the heads up, its the one thing thats stopped me from getting the clock refurbed. Order placed.
phlip99
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by phlip99 »

Who's doing your refurb? The only place I could find charged £168. I'm sure they'd do a good job but it's more than I'd want to spend.... My wristwatch keeps pretty good time!!
Phil.
StuBaker

Post by StuBaker »

I got mine too thanks.
Only problem is... the clock I bought sounds like a baby's rattle. Well it will be right twice a day.
cobraboy

Post by cobraboy »

I recently purchased a correct non working clock, I then purchased a repair kit from these guys below. It was involved to install, but the clock works like a charm. £63.50 + shipping. They have excellent tutorials to guide you, I enjoyed doing it.

https://www.clocks4classics.com/
StuBaker

Post by StuBaker »

Yes thanks, I've seen them. Looks good as my clock is also positive earth. Problem is my balance wheel shaft is shot so it needs a new one. Their system uses the balance wheel for timing. I found a balance wheel now though, just need to make sure that's the only problem or I'll end up chucking money at it. It's only for filling a hole in my dash at the minute whilst I source all the other bits.
amulheirn
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by amulheirn »

Ooh! Thanks for this. I got a proper Smiths item, which worked for precisely six minutes (it timed itself) after I first connected the car's wiring loom to it.

Since then I've gone with Roger King's advice that most of them broke down so technically it is period-correct :D
cobraboy wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 5:39 pm I recently purchased a correct non working clock, I then purchased a repair kit from these guys below. It was involved to install, but the clock works like a charm. £63.50 + shipping. They have excellent tutorials to guide you, I enjoyed doing it.

https://www.clocks4classics.com/
StuBaker

Post by StuBaker »

Andy did you check polarity? It's in tiny engraving on the rear. If you can't read it go over it with a felt tip. One of the problems is the diode burns out if reverse polarity is connected. The site mentioned above has some really good info on that too. Apologies if I'm preaching to the converted.