Hawk 289 Wanted

For Sale and Wanted Section
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Re: Hawk 289 Wanted

Post by peterc »

As far as I know there is not a problem incorporating MG into its title so long as it also states that it is a Hawk 289. If it states Hawk in its title then it should be OK. If it only states MG and no mention at all of Hawk then it is wrongly registered. Eg. perhaps it retained its MG log book despite being converted. If that were the case then it would need to go through IVA unless the DVLA could be persuaded that it was a genuine mistake its not been re registered but you would need to prove how long ago it was converted.
As mentioned the cost quoted gives plenty of scope to converting to meet IVA standards if it were needed.
I'm merely suggesting to go in with eyes wide open.

As Philip has mentioned why put the car onto SORN if it doesn't need MOT or Tax.
There is a lot of grey area around cars converted just before the SVA came in during 1998. The DVLA didn't really know what they needed to do with a rebodied vehicle which why there are some cars with MG incorporated into the new title. Retaining a 1966 age despite being converted could be an advantage. e.g No MOT.

I built mine in 1998/9 and had a reduced SVA in so much as some protrusion rules were not applied. e.g wheel spinners, fuel filler and dashboard switches. Mine is classed as Historic so doesn't need any road tax but I do need an MOT because its been converted. Because mine has been through SVA there is no mention of MG in its title.
I hope that helps.
Peter C
phlip99
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by phlip99 »

Just noticed one of the photos shows the chassis number....
SAB TVR 03377241063
Strange.
I don't know much about Gerry's system but that doesn't look like a Hawk number to me!!??
The paperwork shows a Vehicle Inspectorate report dated 1.8.97 .... so that fits with Peter's point about SVA confusion.
It looks like a good quality build and it's nice to have the photo record of the build too. Get rid of the gear stick & wheels (IMHO!) and spend a few bob on it and it would be a really good example.
Phil.
SirrahBRA

Post by SirrahBRA »

phlip99 wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 10:04 am Just noticed one of the photos shows the chassis number....
SAB TVR 03377241063
Strange.
I don't know much about Gerry's system but that doesn't look like a Hawk number to me!!??
The paperwork shows a Vehicle Inspectorate report dated 1.8.97 .... so that fits with Peter's point about SVA confusion.
It looks like a good quality build and it's nice to have the photo record of the build too. Get rid of the gear stick & wheels (IMHO!) and spend a few bob on it and it would be a really good example.
Phil.
That's the type of number the DVLA assign when the car is stolen recovered, or rebodied etc.
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

I hadn't thought of it before but I have just checked on the DVLA web site. They know it as a MG Hawk 289 so there doesn't seem to be an issue as clearly the DVLA know it has a Hawk body. This is the same as a few BRA's I have come across. I have also heard of the DVLA issuing a new chassis number.
As previously mentioned there were a few differing methods used by the DVLA pre 1998.
Obviously check through the cars history that's provided just in case there is something we don't know about but it looks a steal at that price.
Peter C
Last edited by peterc on Mon Mar 06, 2023 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
clive
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by clive »

phlip wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 11:30 pm
So presumably it would be registered as Historic when owner/address is changed. Why would anyone bother putting car on SORN if it's registered Historic with no tax or MoT required?? Seems odd!?
It might well not qualify as Historic. DVLA seemed to have differing ideas depending on where you first register the vehicle. Some offices took the date when the vehicle was first registered in the UK as the date (This is the date after SVA/IVA when the vehicle was registered as a Hawk) whilst some used the date of first registration ie the date of the donor vehicle. I always thought it strange that they would give you an age related plate but not Historic Tax.
The MOT requirement is different. An MOT is now no longer required if the vehicle is more than 40 years old, however if there has been "Substantial Changes" in the past 30 years then an MOT is required. This applies to replacing chassis, body, axles or engine which more or less covers everything we have done.
https://www.gov.uk/historic-vehicles#:~ ... le%20works
Cheers, Clive.

(If I'm not here I'm in my workshop or on the golf course!)
cobraboy

Post by cobraboy »

As the latest V5C was issued just over a year ago and the date of registration is 1966 it is reasonable to assume that the vehicle has historic status, as any V5C submitted for a change of owner in recent times automatically gets changed to historic if not already in that category. If of course there are no notes, or dual dates on the document.

Any new owner would be wise to not open a can of worms with the DVLA regarding the registration if the car is already a historic.
phlip99
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by phlip99 »

cobraboy wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 8:56 am
Any new owner would be wise to not open a can of worms with the DVLA regarding the registration if the car is already a historic.
You're right there!!
phlip99
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by phlip99 »

The Mystery deepens!!
A quick note to Matthewson's went like this....
"Ref. auction 18th March.
I'm interested in Lot 493, MG Hawk.
Would it be possible for you to send me a scan/photo of the V5? Just pages 1 & 2 will be fine."
--------------------------------------
Hi, because of data protection we cannot send you any V5 details.
------------------------------------------
OK, no problem, I guess you mean names/addresses. Perhaps you could you just tell me the chassis number and the date it was first registered.
-------------------------------------------
Hi, chassis number is : 48105009B , first registered 03/06/1966.
---------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------
Hmmm, that's interesting. Now.... that chassis number is nothing like the one in the photo and nothing like a Hawk number.
Could it be an MGB chassis number? In which case, if Matthewson's took it off the V5, that can of worms may be bigger than we thought !!!
Phil.
StuBaker

Post by StuBaker »

I'm going to have a look Wednesday. I'll let you know if I find out anything.
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

I wouldn't have thought that it is in Mathewson's best interest to sell anything that is not legal without highlighting any registration deficiency.
I know its always buyer beware but if the paper work doesn't stack up the buyer is going to come back rather quickly to complain and expect their money back.
Hopefully you can see enough to advise what is going on rather than us guessing.
Peter C